Chapter 1

"How long do we have?" Alianna looked up at Jax.

Never in a million years had she thought she would be walking down the stairs with her once-victim on her arm. She smiled as another wave of freedom washed over her. She was free from her boss; she never had to kill again. She looked into his dark eyes that were filled with adoration and a playful fire.

Jax Boveri, head of the Boveri family looked down at the tanned, long haired beauty that was Alianna Rose. His heart leapt at the sight of the happiness in Alianna's brown eyes. He was not sure if she would kill him tonight but given the fact he had her by his side; he was more than ecstatic with her decision tonight. He stopped at the bottom of the stairway and pulled her closer. He was surprised when her arms wrapped around his waist. He smiled down at her and cupped her cheek.

Alianna closed her eyes as she felt the pad of Jax's thumb stroke the apple of her cheek. She knew that he wanted them to enjoy the party, to relish in the fact that they could actually be together but she knew it would not be long before word of Marino's death reached her former mafia family members and they would soon have to face the wrath of a legion of trained killers. She felt Jax press a kiss to her forehead and she opened her eyes.

"About an hour," Jax replied softly. 

He had his men, and a plan, already in place. His eyes drifted to her lips. He fought the urge to kiss her; he didn't want to overwhelm her with his affection just yet. Alianna nodded and released her hold on him before intertwining their fingers together. He chuckled before raising their joined hands and pressing a kiss to hers. Alianna blushed and smiled at him as Jax opened the concealed door and led her out, joining the New Year celebration.

Alianna held Jax's hand tightly as they weaved through the packed dance floor of Libertà, Jax's club. They were surrounded by countless patrons, some of them were fellow Libertà employees who were given the night off, and others were customers who were willing to pay the price to experience Jax's party. She kept looking around her, half expecting to see Marino's men, ready to kill her.

Jax greeted some of his elite clients as they came up to him, congratulating him and thanking him for hosting a great party. He continued talking amicably to his clients when he felt Alianna's hand tighten in his. He smiled before pulling her to his side and snaking a hand around her waist. Alianna smiled gratefully and placed her arm around his waist in return. 

She looked up at Jax, admiring him as he talked. What was it that made her fall for him? Was it his chiselled jawline or his dark hair? Her heart stopped as their dark eyes connected, that was it. Those eyes that pierced through the façade she had and saw the real her. She blushed before looking down.

Jax smiled and took two flutes of champagne from a waiter's tray and offered it to Alianna, which she accepted. "To freedom," he said lowly.

"To freedom," she echoed before they touched their glasses gently and sipped their champagne. 

Jax kept them moving around the room, greeting and talking to guests. Jax was clever, he never had them in one spot for too long. Just in case Marino's men were present, he didn't want Alianna to be a sitting duck.

Alianna smiled as Kayla, Emily and Alan, her fellow co-workers approached. Their eyes widened as they saw her and Jax together but they broke out in smiles. Alianna laughed, guessing that the chemistry between the two was not a secret. They began talking, all of them making loud, good natured comments about Alianna and the boss finally hooking up. She never had friends before and did not know to react to their comments, nor how Jax, who was well within earshot, would take it.