Chapter 7

Alianna's arms immediately tightened around Jax, holding him there for his safety.

"Where?" she asked as a fury grew in his eyes.

"One of the smaller clubs," Jax muttered coldly despite the red hot anger burning inside of him. "A couple men are dead, some are injured," he grabbed his jacket off from the back of his chair.

Guilt wracked through Alianna's body, her hands drifting to her gun. "I'm coming with you," she stated. She would not sit idly while people lives were on the line, some had even lost them because of her.

"Like hell you are," Jax snapped causing Alianna to recoil, not used to being the subject of his rage.

"I'm not going to sit here and let you put your family in danger for me," Alianna countered with a firm resolve of her own. "Let me come with you and give me a few hours, L'iiblis will be dead before the day is over."

Jax pulled her to him. He swallowed drily to soothe the tone of his voice. He looked down at her, his gaze soft and comforting. "That is exactly what he wants you do," he murmured, resting his forehead against her own. "He's trying to draw you out by attacking me," he sighed, "don't rise to the bait love. I need you to stay here where I know you are safe."

Alianna closed her eyes, shaking her head which made their noses rub against each other. "You're asking me to break my rules," she said quietly, "all my instincts are telling me to attack."

"And we will," Jax smiled pressing a kiss in between her eyebrows. "We're going to attack hard, fast and when they least expect it." He saw her relax by a fraction. "You will be heavily guarded now, if you need anything just ask Naveen and he'll make the arrangements. Try not to leave the penthouse as much as possible. Can you do that for me?"

Alianna nodded slowly and Jax pulled her even closer. A comfortable silence settled between the two but the level of concern, fear and anger in their posture spoke volumes. Alianna was the first to relax, unable to feel fear while in his arms.

Their lips were so close, they almost started to tingle at the proximity but as much as he wanted to, Jax put some distance between them. Just being able to hold her was a huge step, he did not want to rush the mile. Instead, he pressed a kiss to her forehead and nose, cupping her cheek and looking down at her.

"Alianna," he loved her innocent sorrowful eyes and yearned to fill them with happiness, "promise me that you'll be safe."

Alianna bit her lip before pressing a kiss to Jax's cheek. She felt him smile under her lips as she rubbed her nose against his cheek. "I promise," she murmured.

With one last kiss to her forehead Jax released Alianna. He pulled her chair out for her before kissing the top of her head. Alianna sighed as she watched Jax go out the door. She rest her head against her hands as she sat before the feast.

~

Jax nodded to the driver as he pulled up at one of his smaller clubs. On the outside, you would never think that an hour ago there was a massive shootout. Evan looked up, his face grim as Jax approached. Wordlessly the two men entered the now empty club.

It was a mess, the glass shelves were shattered and the tables were overturned. The was an overwhelming stench of alcohol in the air. Jax cleared his throat as he saw the last injured man being ushered out of the room. The general area of the club was ransacked and trashed but that was not where most of the damage lay.