Chapter 24

Alianna leaned against Jax's shoulder as Naveen drove along the coastal road to the warehouse. Her head was still foggy from the lack of sleep but with Jax's reassuring presence and the sunlight sparkling off the sea; her mood was being uplifted as they went.

She knew everyone was walking on eggshells around her and she did not blame them. Even though she was unarmed, much to Jax's displeasure, she could easily slip back to being the old Alianna but she chose not to. She was not a switch that could be turned on and off on command and she had to teach herself how to be herself again.

"We're here," Jax's quiet murmur made her shift her attention to the new headquarters of the Boveri family.

The men were lined up, perfect as an army as Evan and Rex stood in the front waiting for them. Alianna smiled as she looked around, the move was catalysed by L'iiblis but the warehouse was bigger than the last accommodating Jax's sudden boom in business.

"Are you sure about this?" Jax asked as they walked down to the basement. Alianna narrowed his eyes at him, a warning not to push his luck as his eyes roamed her body; no weapons hidden in her dress, her hair hung freely past her shoulders, almost down to the small of her back.

"Yes I am." She looked to Naveen and Emilio, reassuring herself that they were close. She inclined her head in greeting to the Keepers who were guarding Joel. Jax raising an eyebrow in surprise when they returned her gesture.

The cell smelt of rotting flesh and stale blood making Alianna gag lightly. Old Alianna was meticulous and clean but as she looked at the half alive man bound to the chair in the centre of the room; she understood the beast that slumbered inside man she slept beside.

"Get up," her voice had not lost that cold, commanding tone just yet.

Joel blinked as much as he could with one eye swollen and the other caked shut in blood. His answering grin showed that Jax had knocked out a couple of teeth. "Ah, Alianna," Joel spat out, "come to join in the fun."

"Oh, save it," she scoffed, standing in front of him, "I'm half inclined to cut out your tongue."

"Bold words coming from the unarmed woman."

The sound of fifteen guns being loaded and aimed at him made Alianna smirked slightly. "Those would be some pathetic last words." Out of the corner of her eye she saw Jax step into the dim light.

"I've given you everything I know," Joel grunted.

"Not everything," Alianna stated. "Why?"

"Why?" Joel repeated flatly. "Why what?"

"Why betray the family who took you in as a child? Why betray the man who gave you a second chance to prove yourself when everyone thought the worse of you?"

The only sound in the room was the hum of the overhead lighting. Alianna had listened to Jax's musings all those nights he crept into her room, she had not responded but she has listened.

Joel chuckled darkly, "The Boveri family was a growing empire. A feared family with the highest morals. We were dominating the East Coast and we were respected until you came. We took in a stray, a woman, who wanted to kill our boss but ended up in his bed instead. We were weak, our men forced to trust her; that blind loyalty made us weak."

"So what was the initial plan?" Alianna asked.

"I was supposed to help set up your family here," Joel said lowly, "Marino was going to corner you in New York, forcing you to move here should you have failed your mission." He chuckled, "And failed it you did."