Chapter 26

Alianna's gaze flickered to Jax's reflection in the mirror. Their eyes burned with a flame that would reignite their recent argument. Alianna looked away dismissively, standing firmly and defiantly with her decision.

Part of her knew Jax was right, after every thing she learnt today, could she really handle what was to come? But the greater part of her conscious knew that she was ready, the old Alianna could have killed a man right at the door and then go blood stained bartering, the woman she was becoming can more than handle this task.

Jax watched at Alianna curled her hair into a small bun, letting a few strands frame her face. His eyes instinctively dropped to the flare of her dark green skirt, double checking that she had her knife with her, and his gut churned as he reminded himself that Alianna was not that kind of woman anymore.

"Let's go," Alianna's calm voice broke the quiet as she fixed her polka dot beige shirt that was tucked into her skirt. Jax smiled, minutely uneasy as their fingers wove together as they walked down the hall. The couple was quiet, the sounds of their respective loafers and ballet flats echoing in the empty hall. If it were possible, their silence got louder as they approached Jax's study.

Alianna inclined her head to the Keepers who guarded the door and Jax raised an eyebrow as they inclined their heads in return. The Keepers had a high opinion of Alianna after the family's latest ordeal, judging her values and morals were in the right place and were impressed by her bravery. Jax cleared his throat and knocked firmly on the door.

"Come in." The muted voice was reserved, a practised calm that came with years of negotiation, but there was no denying the power this man possessed. Jax squeezed Alianna's hand gently making her rub his hand with her thumb as he opened the door.

Jax's office was barely lit with just the desk lamp on, the yellow bulb reflecting in the back of the leather chair and the air definitely smelt like someone had gotten the cigars Jax kept in the bottom drawer. Alianna smiled at the two Keepers on either side of the person sitting behind the desk and she watched smoke rise into the air.

"Papa," Jax started, slightly self-conscious addressing his father endearingly in Alianna's presence. He was usually the most powerful person in the room and could swallow his pride whenever the two of them were in the same room but he found this difficult to do in front of her. "I would like you to meet my Rose." Jax sighed softly under his breath at the apparent indifference from his father. "Alianna, this is my father I.."

"Iohannes Boveri," the man in the chair turned around. Alianna flinched as his eyes met hers and her head spun with a sense of déjà vu as she was catapulted to one year ago as she stood in Jax's office, clad in a white shirt and black skirt with a tray and a Cuba Libre in hand.

Iohannes Boveri was an enigma with an piercing gaze that rocked the already shaky foundation of her confidence, something Jax had inherited or learnt, but his age was betrayed by crinkles around his eyes. His chiselled face was framed with a well-kept beard that was meticulous trimmed coupled with a serious sneer. His grey hair was gelled back and created quite a contrast to the dark room. Just as his son, Iohannes Boveri was powerful yet refined, dangerous but not threatening and she was not afraid; she had dealt with the Devil himself and lived. Alianna did not break the gaze as Iohannes put out his cigar, he looked Alianna over before he spoke again.

"Leave us Jax."

Jax's grip on Alianna's hand tightened so fast that pain shot up her arm. "I am not leaving."