Part Thirteen

"Janey!" Jessica called.

The night had progressed and she and Danny were back in the kitchen, working their way through the buffet with Adah and Ilse. The space had cleared a great deal since their arrival, with many guests retreating outside for some fresh air or clustering in the adjacent rooms where loud, obnoxious party games were heating up.

"I've been looking for you since we got here!" Jessica exclaimed as she pulled her in for a kiss.

"I've been mingling Jessie, I can't be everywhere at once!" Jane laughed while her sister squeezed her tightly.

"I thought you said this would be a small, select gathering, I've seen way too many unwanted faces and we've only been here a couple of hours."

"I'm a very sociable person, there's nothing wrong with that. You've managed to keep away from them though...?" Jane trailed off as Jessica raised her eyebrows and her mouth tightened.

"They grabbed me as soon as we walked through the door, luckily the girls were outside."

Jane sat by her side on a stool at the island and took a gulp of Jessica's wine.

"I'm sorry Jess," she said. "I did tell them not to...you know...but I suppose they didn't listen."

"It's over with now, it's done. I'm free to enjoy the night," Jessica said lightly. 

"They'll be the worst by far, the rest are friendly, I promise...They weren't too much were they?"

Jessica shook her head and shrugged, looking down at the work surface on which she leant on her forearms.

"I'm sorry," Jane said, moving Jessica's hair out of her face. "Really, I am."

Jessica sat straighter and took her sister's hand.

"I know you are, it's not your fault or theirs really, they're bound to be curious. I'm just so tired of my happiness being defined by...it's like no one can see past that part of my life."

Jane squeezed her hand.

"I know honey, I'm sorry. But you're having the last laugh," she said, nodding across the kitchen at Danny, who was helping the girls select their food.

"He's been amazing, I can be so difficult sometimes and he doesn't even bat an eye."

"He's definitely a keeper, Jess. And talk of the devil!"

Jane leapt out of her seat and launched herself at Danny as he appeared over their shoulders and placed a full plate down in front of Jessica. He embraced Jane with his spare arm, kissing her on the cheek and exchanging pleasantries.

"You look beautiful Jane, thank you for inviting us tonight," he said affectionately.

"Don't be ridiculous, I've missed you both and my girls!" she exclaimed, placing lipstick stained kisses on Adah and Ilse's grinning faces and tucking them each under an arm.

"Mem, can we eat outside with everyone else?" Ilse asked.

"You want to go back out there? Are you not cold?" Jessica fussed.

"We aren't cold by the fire."

The girls looked up at her and then out of the window at the others with longing etched across both of their faces.

"Okay, but get your coats and sit way back," Jessica said while they looked at each other gleefully and carefully carried their plates back out into the garden.

Jane settled back in her seat while Danny took a place on her other side and she lightly picked off both of their plates.

"Why don't you get some for yourself?" Jessica asked, hovering her fork threateningly over her lingering hand.