Chapter Thirteen

"Skye. I'm so sorry. Why did you run off like that? Where have you been? Why are you here." Robyn looks at me with a worried look
"They called me."
"For what?"
"They have a heart for me."
Her eyes widen and she starts tearing up.
"T-that's great."
She comes up to me and tried to hug me.
"No" I put a hand out to stop her.
"O-h...uhm...okay.." she stands for and moment looking at her hands, "Can I stay?"
I nod. I'm still mad at her. What I went through when I was in a coma was traumatizing and she takes it as a joke. She's the one who put me in a coma in the first place.
"Skye Florence." A doctor comes out of a door and calls me in. I stand up and start walking toward the door and Robyn follows behind me. We follow the doctor into a room. It's just a regular patient room.
"Okay so first I'm going to take your vitals and then we'll explain the surgery step by step okay?" The doctor looks for my approval and I nod to show I'm listening.
He takes my blood pressure first. After that my heart beat. My breathing. My temperature. Height. Weight. And then he leaves for a few minutes.
"Skye I'm sorry....I didn't mean it like that...I-"
I interupt her. "Stop. I don't want to hear it."
"But Skye Im-"
"Please just stop."
She looks at the floor and we sit in silence until the doctor comes back.

"So everything seems good so I'll explain surgery now. So first were going to put you on anesthetic. Which will make it so you'll be asleep and won't feel a thing. We will have to wait 10-15 minutes until it kicks in.
Then were going to cut an incision right here."
He marks a line over his chest.
"You won't feel it of course. We will have to move your organs to be able to be to your heart. That includes your lungs and your stomach. Which also means we will have to break a couple of your ribs"
My eyes widen and I'm not sure how I feel about that. The doctor senses my nervousness and speaks hastily.
"You won't feel it and it won't hurt. We'll put a cast on and it'll heal fairly quickly."
I ease out but I look over at Robyn and it seems this whole thing is making her nervous.
"Once everything is out of the way we will cut one artery off your heart at a time, temporarily replacing it with a tube. Once all the arteries are disconnected from your heart we will remove it. We will put in the new one and suture it to the arteries. Once thats done it's pretty simple. We'll just move everything back into place, we will put a metal suture on your ribs to hold them in place, well stitch you up, put a fabric bandage and a cast and your good to go."
I nod and look over at Robyn. She looks at me and nods back. The doctor continues.
"After a couple weeks you'll have to go back to get the stiches removed. You'll have to keep them dry for a while and keep it bandaged at all times. A few months after that you can get your cast removed and you're all good to go . Brand new heart. Any questions?"
I look at Robyn and she speaks up.
"What about the sutures inside her?"
"The stiches we use on her heart are melt away. So after the area is healed they'll just melt away. The metal piece on her ribs will be there forever. It so cause any trouble."
We both nod.
"So would you like me to take you to the operating room now? She'll have to stay outside the room though..."
She gestures to Robyn.
"Yes please."
We walk down a hallway and past a large door the doctor has to unlock with a card. He leads us to the room and there's a large bed that kind of looks like a table and it's surrounded by many other tables with tools on them.
"You can talk for a moment just let me know when you're ready."
He walks in the room and joins a small group of nurses is blue outfits with masks and hair nets.
"Skye....are you sure you want to do this...?" She looks at the ground.
"Yes. I'm sure. I want to be able to do things with you. Watch horror movies and go on rollercoasters and get into silly arguments with you." I grab her chin and hold it up so I can look into her beautiful brown eyes. It's the first time I've touched her in weeks.
"Why did you have to run....I was so worried." She starts crying.
"I was mad. I needed type to think. It's okay now. I'm here. And I'm not going anywhere ever again." I pull her face into mine and kiss her. I feel her freeze at my touch and after a second or two she kisses back. I pull away and hug her.
"I love you Robyn. I'm never leaving again."
"I love you too Skye." I can't see her face but I can feel her tears. I pull away and kiss her again. Feeling her lips on mine I smile into her and I can feel her smiling back. After a few seconds I give her one last hug and an 'I love you' before telling the doctor I'm ready.
"Okay follow me."
I wave bye to Robyn and smile as she sits across the hall. I walk into the room and lay on the table bed.
"I'm going to put this on your face. Just breath normally."
He puts a mask over my face and I breath in the air. It taste a little weird but that's the only difference. I look over at Robyn sitting in a chair through the window and my eye lids become heavy. She's the last thing I see before everything goes black.