Chapter 1

I never knew what I wanted to do with my life.

My parents usually decided everything for me.

That's how I ended up here, at the National Academy of Dance.

Of course you need to get to know me. I'm Shaila Rason, I am 15 years old and I- I guess you could say- am a dancer. I am mixed, as in White mom, Black dad. I have a younger sister, Maya. We don't talk much, ever since I got into the academy. I used to be a gymnast, a really good one, but my parents liked they way I danced- Because I have to take dance class sometimes- so I ended up here.

I think that's enough about me, I think you'll learn more about me later.

***

I was waiting for my friend, Kat, while she was trying to get her food from the machine. She kicked the machine in frustration, when her money was taken and she received no food.

"Kat, it's audition week, I really need to get into my leotard." I said "Any idea where the changing rooms are?"

"Uh, yes, down back that way second door to the... Right." Kat said, I thanked her and rushed that way.

When I finished changing I ran out and into the studio, I stood next to Kat as Mr. Kennedy, the headmaster of the academy, walked in. They started talking about rules, and what's we are doing this year.

"I expect you-" the door opened, cutting Ms. Raine off. Everyone turned to see a girl with red-brown hair in a messy bun.

"Sorry." She said, pushing her hair behind her ear. A boy from the other side of the room snickered.

"Boys come with me into the other studio, ladies you stay here with Ms. Raine." Patrick, one of our instructors, said. I look out the window and see the boy outside with Ms. Raine and Patrick. I assumed he was in trouble, so I turned around back to Kat.

"Did you find the dressing rooms okay?" Kat asked the girl that was late.

"Yep." She said, before moving toward the barre. The girl didn't seem to like Kat very much.

"What did you do?" I asked, as if the answer was obvious.

"I have her directions to the boys changing room as a joke." Kat shrugged, I rolled my eyes. Then she plugged in her iPod, the stereos blared pop music. We both started dancing, she grabbed some random boy's hand and tried to get him to dance, but had no luck.

***

A/N
Sooo, this is more like a Prologue, but I hate having prologues because it messes up the thingy (idk I hope you know what I'm taking about.)

But yeah, please let me know if you enjoyed this boring chapter XD