Chapter 12

Shaila's POV

Christian and I walked down to the studio for our classes. I knew he understood that we couldn't mess around. Being here at this dance academy is living my parents dream for me, and all I want to do is make them proud.

We all had warmed up and stretched, we got into our pas de deux partners. Ms. Rainer told all the parents about pas de deux and all that stuff.

"Starting positions." She called out to all of us, I grabbed Christian's hand and got into position.

"Are you okay?" He asked, probably because my hands were noticeably sweaty. I just nodded, and the music started. We started to dance, all of the movements leading up to the lift.

Christian successfully lifted me gracefully, the parents applauded with awe.

"Yes, you're actually starting to work together." Ms. Rainer said to me and Christian as she walked around the room critiquing, which caused me and him to smile at each other.

Christian and I usually mess around- causing bus to get kicked out of the class- it happens almost everyday.

***

My dad had to leave, he was coming back for the other classes, but he had to work. He was always busy with work.

I walked into my room, and saw my mom sitting on my bed.

"So you share your room with a boy?" She said, almost smirking. I lightly laughed.

"Listen honey, there's something I need to tell you." She said, her tone changed. I had gut feeling that this was going to change a lot of things.

"What is it?" I asked, I was so nervous my voice shook. Tears formed in her eyes.

"It's your father, he-" she cut herself off by sobbing. I was shocked.

"Mom, what about him?" I pleaded for her to tell me.

"He coughed up blood one morning... and we took him to the doctors...." she told. Now, tears formed in my eyes.

"What is it mum?" I asked.

"He- he has lung cancer." She finished, breaking down completely.

"M- why?" I asked, my voice trembling.

"I can't let you see me like this." She said, kissing my forehead, and fleeting.

I stood from my bed, feeling weak. I felt like I wasn't even present in my own body, like I wasn't in control. I walked down the stairs of the dormitory, seeing a lot of the students with their parents, looking happy.

I walked outside, to the parking lot. I saw Christian with Tara's father. I knew her father pretty well, he was a cool guy. He almost substituted for my father, since he's always busy with work. I was titled with the nickname, sunny, he told me it was because I could always light up a room.

"Oi Sunny!" Mr. Webster called out. "Why don't you help us fix up this ol' thing? City boy doesn't know how to find the alternator."

I stopped in front of them, Mr. Webster busy with the car. Christian looked at me.

"I'll just... be back in a sec." I said, almost running off.

I ran until I reached a pond, where no one was around. I don't tend to share my emotions with anyone, that's why Kat usually calls me EmotionlessShay. I sat down on a bench, and cried for the first time in years. Stopped when I heard someone approaching, from far away. I whipped my tears and clear my throat. The person stood next to me.

"Hey." The familiar voice said. I looked up to see Christian standing there. He held out a rag, "Its clean." I smiled weakly and took it. He walked around the other side of the bench and sat next to me.

"Mr. Webster told me about your dad..." he said hesitantly. I broke down into sobs. I felt an arm wrap around me.

"Why couldn't it be me." I sobbed.

"Shay," Christian said. "Everything happens for a reason, and you don't know. Maybe the doctors are able to get rid of it." I wiped away my tears.

"Sorry you had to see me like this." I apologized.

"See you like what?" He asked, turning toward me.

"This ugly, girl typical, weeping-mess." I replied.

"Shaila, all I see is a beautiful girl, who is finally showing emotion, other than being happy." He stated.

I looked into his eyes and smiled. And at this moment, I realized that I finally allowed myself to like someone, to crush on someone. But no one else in the world but Christian Reed.

***

A/N
Okay is it bad that I'm crying? Like I can't see the keyboard 😂😂 I hope you guys enjoyed this chapter and I'm sorry for being inactive I'm getting back into it. (Not that I got out of it) I just had too many ideas for this and I couldn't figure out how to build up to it. Love you all!!!