Chapter 07: Together

Chapter Seven

TOGETHER

“It’ll be okay, Matt. She’s pulled through before.”

                Matthew shook his head angrily as he crossed out the sentence he’d just written. “I can’t guarantee that.”

                Spencer sighed, knowing that this was a possibility. He placed a reassuring and supportive hand on Matthew’s back. Matthew growled angrily as he crossed out yet another line.

                The news of Amy’s situation had spread like wildfire. Someone had reported to the media that the ambulance had pulled up at famous Matthew Hamilton’s home, and that Amy had been rushed to hospital. Then, when Matthew had called Jake to tell him and Yani of the news, someone had allegedly hacked into his phone, deciphering Amy’s condition. Rumours were now being spread uncontrollably across the Internet.

                The media currently waited outside the hospital, eager for a piece of juicy Hollywood gossip. Matthew would have to make a statement, to settle the matter once and for all. The rumours would be the least bit helpful in Amy’s recovery.

                After another half hour, he was satisfied with what he’d written (there was enough detail to leave them satisfied, yet not too much as to give away the personal details), but before he addressed the media, he would tell Amy what he was doing. She’d given her family and friends the cold shoulder as they came to visit her, but Matthew received the worst of it.

                He entered her room, Jennifer, Allison, Jackson and Donna crowded around her. They looked around as Matthew entered, most of them with tears in their eyes, though he only looked at Amy’s cold ones.

                “I have to give a statement to the media,” he said quietly. Her ears seemed to perk up at this news… why would he need to address the media? “The whole world knows about this.” With no other recognition from Amy, Matthew left, leaving Spencer to look after the five kids (Peter, Samuel, Ziggy, Savannah and Casper) by himself.

                As he stepped out the main entrance, the media circus closed in on him, microphones at every angle, with hundreds more cameras. He ignored their questions and read the statement he’d prepared, though it sounded more formal than he’d intended.

                “Following our marriage in November, my wife and I began trying for a baby. In January, we discovered that our attempts had been successful. However, on this past Saturday morning, we were told that we had miscarried.”

                The media was silent as they took in every word and captured every hint of emotion with their cameras.

                “We were both incredibly disheartened, of course, but my wife was much more deeply affected by the tragedy. And so yesterday afternoon, she attempted to take her own live. By some miracle she is still here with us today, and we ask for your privacy in this time of recovery.”

                And with that, Matthew turned back into the hospital, refusing to answer any of their questions that they threw at him. When he reached the hall outside Amy’s room, he took a seat next to Spencer. They sat silently, only disturbed on the odd occasion by one of the children.

                Jackson soon joined them.

                “It’s a bit heavy in there,” he explained, taking a seat next to Matthew.

                “Why? What’s happened?” Matthew asked in return, fearfully curious.

                Jackson rubbed his hands over his eyes, removing any trace of his tears. “Um, well she’s refusing to eat now. They’re trying to get her to eat something, but she screams and attacks them whenever they try.”