Chapter 15: Perceived Pressures

Chapter Fifteen
PERCEIVED PRESSURES

May

Amy balanced precariously on the top step of a step ladder, reaching to the ceiling to place the last of the decorations for Matthew’s birthday party. Her legs were shaky, but reminded herself mind over matter over and over again, futilely attempting to steady her heart rate at the same time.

                She would have lost her footing and tumbled to the ground at the sound of Matthew’s voice, had he not reached up to support her by her hips.

                “Are the streamers really necessary?” he asked, admiring Amy’s handiwork of adorning their living room and dining room ceilings with hundreds of coloured streamers.

                With Matthew’s  help, Amy stepped down from the ladder after tacking the last streamer in place. “They are essential for any birthday party,” she teased.

                Matthew rolled his eyes. “For any ten-year-old, maybe.” At the scolding look Amy gave him, he amended, “I mean, they’re beautiful. Thank you.”

                Amy smiled and pecked his lips. “You look very handsome,” she commented as she smoothed out his shirt collar. Matthew blushed. “Can you pass me that bunch of balloons and a piece of tape?” she asked as she carried the step ladder to the centre of the room.

                As Amy placed a large collection of balloons in the centre of the room, with Matthew holding her hips, the doorbell rang, and once Amy had been helped down, Matthew went to answer the door. Amy put the step ladder aside and soon joined him.

                At the door was Kolton, with the large congregation of three other families behind him at their hire cars. “Hey, Amy!” he said, stepping forward to embrace Amy, pecking her cheek. The hug was warm and brotherly, and lasted longer than the standard hug of greeting.

                “How are you?” Amy asked with a smile. “How’s Em and Oliver?”

                Kolton’s grin was enormous. “They’re great. Absolutely perfect. Em wanted to come, but it was just too soon.”

                “Of course, that’s understandable.” Amy could not bring herself to empathise, as she had never been in the position of post-birth. Instead, she was forced to sumpathise.

                Jake and Yani were next at the door, their two children – Natalie and Dean – skipping along at their heels. Then Sebastian and his wife Lexi came to house, nursing their four-month old son Stuart. Ostyn and his wife Kelly brought up the rear, each cradling one of their twin girls – Tabitha and Scarlett, also only four months old.

                It took a little while for the families to get settled – Ostyn and Sebastian set up cot beds whilst Kelly and Lexi changed dirty nappies. Amy helped Yani bring in their belongings, whilst Matthew, Jake and Kolton began preparing the food for their sit down lunch. The grumbling stomachs of their guests told them to hurry the process along.

                On their second trip out to their hire car, Yani took Amy aside.

                “How are you?” she asked with a solemn look upon her tired face.

                Amy breathed a sigh. “I’m fine, really.”

                Yani raised her eyebrow.