Chapter 16: Gifts

Chapter Sixteen

GIFTS

Early that following Tuesday morning, after their American acquaintances had once again departed, Amy heard the buzzing of the alarm clock and felt the mattress elevate as Matthew removed himself from the covers, heading to the bathroom to ready himself for work.

                During that time, Amy fell asleep once again, though only lightly. She woke again at the sound of Matthew dressing. A pristine white shirt with his deep purple tie with his silvery-grey suit jacket and pants. He looked incredibly classy.

                Amy got herself out of bed, much to his surprise, and assisted him to tie his tie and flatten his collars. She kissed his freshly shaven cheek.

                “Happy birthday.”

                Matthew smirked in embarrassment. “Thank you.”

                “You’re not allowed to leave until you’ve had breakfast.”

                After a short debate, in which Amy won, they went into the kitchen where Amy fried up some eggs and bacon. She flipped them only some toast, and with a hot cup of coffee and the morning newspaper, Matthew was very thankful.

                They were silent as Matthew read the newspaper, but Amy had something she wanted to say.

                “I’m going to go out today.”

                “What’re you going to do?” Matthew smiled with a mouthful of eggs.

                “I was thinking I’d get some real estate catalogues and have a look through them. Do some research. Stuff like that.”

                “You still want to move?”

                “Of course I do,” Amy sighed. “Look, I know I said I wanted to move because we were having a baby, but I don’t think we shouldn’t move now that that didn’t work out. I still want to have your children one day. But now that we’ve got some extra time, I think we should get a new house organised, so that when we do have kids, we’re not rushing around and moving house.”

                Matthew pushed his now-empty plate aside and looked Amy in the eye, holding her hands. “I love you so much, and I promise we’ll try again one day, but not until you’re better.”

                “I know, I know – I just think we need to move house. Now.”

                Matthew smiled. “I think so, too. How about we start going around to some auctions on the weekends, too? Just to get an idea of what’s available for what price.”

                Amy nodded as Matthew pecked her lips.

                “I have to go,” he said softly as he got up. “Thank you for breakfast.”

                Amy smiled, knowing that breakfast was nothing compared to what she had planned. “I’ll see you tonight.”

                And with that, Matthew collected his briefcase and headed out the front door, leaving Amy with an empty house and a sink full of dishes.

                *             *             *

When Matthew returned home that night, he did not expect anything out of the ordinary. A simple birthday evening, no fanfare. He’d had his party on the weekend – his birthday had been celebrated. He did not want, nor expect, anymore fuss on Amy’s behalf.