Chapter Nine

They were back at the catacombs, every single one of them except Ra.

"You need to listen to me." Quatesh implored the gods. "Ra is probably in the outer darkness by now. Egypt is in a vulnerable position, one of us has to assume leadership," he added, raising his voice to get their attention.

"And who would that be? Do not tell us you wish to assume this position," retorted Sekhmet.

She was a hairy goddess with the body of a woman but the head of a lioness; and the Egyptians worshipped her as the goddess of war. She regarded Quatesh with open disdain for a moment then turned to address the others. 

"Surely, he must be joking," Sekhmet said, her sultry voice sounding like the purr of a cat. Swinging her bronze axe lazily, she continued speaking. "For all we know, prince Ra could still be out there. If anyone is to take the helm of authority in the main time, it should be one who knows what it entails to lead this principality. This"—she pointed at Quatesh with a clawed finger—"has nothing to offer. He might argue that his wisdom saved us, and some of you may agree, but a leader doesn't rely on wits alone."

When Sekhmet faced Quatesh with a broad smile, her canines gleamed and her eyes took a crazed glint. Smiling was not for her. "A leader needs courage and we all know you are lacking this quality...don't we?"

Quatesh stared Sekhmet in the eyes and hissed in her face. He would not allow himself to feel belittled. Slithering forward, he addressed the murmuring gathering. "Yes, I know some would say I exhibit cowardice and they may be correct to say so. I know when a battle is worthwhile and when it is not. Now is the time when wisdom is to be applied in Egypt. I will—"

"No, No, No! I would not have any of this. This is not an issue up for debate!" Sekhmet cut in. Her coy smile had vanished, and now she growled at Quatesh as the hair on her arms and face bristled.

She slammed her axe to the floor. "Ra treated me and me alone as his second in command! Do not test me. Do not, or I swear by the very pits of hell, I would make sure I tear off those puny wings of yours. We would have none of your trickery and smooth talk. You are weak and you can never rule us! If you can't deal with this fact, get out!" the war goddess shouted in his face, teeth bared and eyes burning.

When Quatesh observed the gathering and saw no one seemed to be remotely in support of him, he decided to carry out his plan alone. "Very well, I shall leave. I cannot stay in the gathering of those who would not see reason."

Not a single god spoke as Quatesh hurled his massive frame and disappeared from their midst.

____________________________________

Run away. Run very far away.

Rai shook her head to dispel the troubling thoughts that filled her mind; shutting her eyes, she inhaled deeply. 

"Be calm, Rai," she hummed as she paced about her room in search of inner peace. She kicked a floor pillow out of her way when no peace came. Her calm was slipping, fast.

Close to the door were two leather satchels packed with a few belongings. Her plan was simple— gather little and flee! But now, as she thought of it, she wondered where she could run to. Where could she go that the fury of Pharaoh Thutmose wouldn't locate and end her?

Rai stopped in front of her polished silver mirror and stared at her reflection. She looked tired. Dark circles were beginning to appear beneath her eyes and her face appeared bloodless. As she adjusted her hair and tucked wayward strands behind her ears, she looked out for blemishes.

Even though it was the middle of the night, Rai reapplied kohl between her eyelids, malachite for eyeshadow, and a little ocher on her lips. She smiled at her reflection and momentarily forgot her predicament.