Chapter Eleven

Hatshepsut lifted her lamp higher as she took careful steps down the stairs of the dungeon. The walls of the place were damp and possessed a dirty wet appearance; she hoped her dress wouldn't brush against the filth.

Two guards walked ahead with blazing touches and spears.  She wondered why they had to wield such wicked weapons, it's not like Addisu was a murderer.

Thutmose had refused to see her or anybody for that matter. She got to hear of Addisu's foolish actions from the guard at his door. When he told her pharaoh ordered Addisu to be locked up, her heart broke for the woman. Hatshepsut wasn't sure why she acted so foolishly, but she needed to speak with her.

"We're here, Queen Hatshepsut," one of the guards said. He raised a torch to reveal a cell with thick rusting bars and dirt floor.

Hatshepsut could make out the dark outline of a sitting person at the far corner of the filthy enclosure. "Excuse us."

"But—" both guards protested in unison.

"It's not a question. Leave." Her tone silenced their protest.

"Yes, Queen Hatshepsut."

Hatshepsut waited for the glow of their torches to fade before turning to face the lone figure in the cell. "Why?"

"It's good to see a familiar face. It gets so lonely and cold in here, this flimsy gown offers no warmth." Addisu's voice trembled a bit as she spoke.

"What possessed you? Why did you do it?"

Hatshepsut bent and dropped the lamp before straightening and leaning against the corroded bars of the cell. The air stank of moss and decay, and she was increasingly finding breathing an unpleasant task indeed.

The light from the lamp revealed Addisu. She was seated on the floor with legs drawn up to her chest. She saw the woman was staring at the floor and drawing lines on the dirt.

"Did they find him? Is he dead?" She asked with her head still bowed.

Hatshepsut frowned in confusion. What was Addisu speaking of? She was told she hid her son, and they couldn't find his body to properly embalm him. As she thought of it, she feared the younger woman might be suffering from some sort of mental malady. "No. Re'hotpe's body hasn't been found, if that's what you mean."

Addisu sprang to her feet and rushed forward. She gripped the bars and stared at Hatshepsut in horror. "What do you mean? Who killed my son? They killed him...no." 

Her eyes shone with unshed tears as she let go of the bars and stepped back. She hugged herself then began rocking back and forth like a reed blown by the wind.

"All the first sons died as Moses predicted. Re'hotpe wouldn't have been any different. You shouldn't have done what you did. Thutmose is still grieving, but what would happen when he recovers? Why did you do this?" Hatshepsut asked.

She frowned when she saw Addisu smile and fall to her knees. After a moment, she began laughing and crying at the same time. Hatshepsut stooped and stretched an arm towards the hysterical woman.

"Come, give me your hand. I've come to comfort you as I promised. Don't let your grief steal your sanity. If Thutmose must kill you, you are to go down with dignity. Madness does not speak of dignity," Hatshepsut pleaded, hoping to calm the weeping-laughing woman.

Addisu gripped her outstretched hand with both of hers. Her touch was cold and clammy, and Hatshepsut could feel her fingers tremble.

"He is not dead, he isn't..."

"I am quite sure he is. How could he have escaped what the entire people of Egypt suffered?"

Addisu drew closer and reduced her voice to a whisper. "I sent him to Goshen."