Chapter Twenty-eight

"What would happen to us now, Eliahba?"

Re'hotpe pretended not to eavesdrop as he brushed the gleaming fur of Black. The stallion didn't look its best due to harsh weather and the little water supply, but it was still strong.

I'm taking good care of it, mama—erm, mother.

"I trust Moses would come up with something. The Lord would bring us out of this." Eliahba sounded very confident, and Re'hotpe knew if he turned, he would see the man's eyes gleam with assurance.

What assurance?

"But we are stuck. Can't you see? There's a sea in front of us! I am scared. What if we do not find a way out? What if the pharaoh comes after us?"

Re'hotpe's heart sank to his stomach then crashed back up when he heard that part. The possibility terrified him to no end. He gulped and gripped the brush tighter.

"Come, Michal. Let us talk of this elsewhere."

Re'hotpe listened to the sound of their retreating footsteps and sighed. He wanted to hear what they were saying.

"You look like you ate a dung beetle."

Re'hotpe turned to Japheth and grimaced at his dishevelled appearance. His hair was ruffled by the wind and his tunic and face were stained with mud.

Re'hotpe frowned. "And you look like you rolled in the dung."

Japheth looked down at his cloth in confusion. "Hmmm. I thought it wouldn't be so obvious. You're so spot on, Re'hotpe. But it's mud though, dung is simply taking it too far." He bumped his shoulder lightly and laughed when he saw his frown deepen.

"You rolled in the mud! Why would anyone want to roll in the mud? Why do you do these things?"

Japheth shrugged and then grinned. "Why don't you roll in the mud, Re'hotpe? Why don't you do these things?" Japheth snatched the brush from his hand and shoved it back into the saddle bag. Re'hotpe noticed with displeasure that his friend was smearing both his horse and the leather bag with mud.

"I have no time for such activities. There are greater things to think of, things to contemplate on."

Japheth scoffed. "You're such an old man. You remind me of my great-grandfather. He never smiled or laughed. The first time I saw him smile, I nearly died of laughter. He had one tooth! One. O Re'hotpe, you should have seen it, the poor thing looked like it was hanging on for its dear life."

The image of a smile exposing a dangling tooth made Re'hotpe laugh. He nudged his friend at the side and laugh some more.

"You are so silly, Japheth." Re'hotpe wiped a tear from the corner of his eye.

"I know. You also remind me of his character. He was never happy. He talked on and on about the story his father told his father. He would tell us of our ancestors, of Abraham and how he would be angry at our submissive attitude to the slave masters. His speech always sounded funny, you know? He pushed his words through lips that were pressed together and sunken. Is it strange that I miss his gloomy presence sometimes?"

Re'hotpe smiled sadly then shook his head. "No, it's not."

"I don't think I'll ever miss your sad presence, though. Ha!" Japheth threw an arm over his shoulder, mud and all.

Re'hotpe wrinkled his nose and attempted to wiggle out of his hold. "Would you stop that, you're soiling my tunic."

"Hmmm, I was worried you'll say that." Japheth immediately removed his arm and bent as if to touch his toes. Re'hotpe watched him with open curiosity. His feet were caked with mud and he was presently making a bad attempt at trying to rub it off.