Chapter One

edited by: Meganstarkey,  interstellaro, and EDIT0RR

please do me a huge favor and if you liked this chapter...vote!!!! it encourages me to keep writing and updating!! thanks!!

*********************************************************************

"Hey Luke, I know you forgot that both dad and mom are working, and Natalie might not be home tonight to babysit. So you're going to have to babysit." I balanced my phone between my cheek and shoulder, fishing into my backpack for my keys as I walked out into Ashville High School's parking lot.

Luke's voice came back irritated, "Carter, you know there's a party tonight. I can't babysit."

"Luke, I made these plans a long time ago and I'm not canceling them. You can talk to mom about it or if she's working then ask Natalie. What time will you be home?" I waved goodbye to my best friend Mandy. Her curly, red hair escaped from her ponytail and flew all around her face as she sped off before the school traffic got too bad.

"Ok, yeah." I turned up the volume on my phone, having trouble hearing him because of the other football players in the background. "We're coming back from a game right now so I'll be home soon. "

"Ok, I'll see you later." I ended the call and I texted Sam Where are you? before opening up the door to my car and sliding in. I looked up to see Sam running towards me from across the lot, dodging all of the cars. She threw her backpack into the backseat and slid into the passenger seat next to me. Her phone buzzed from my text.

"Sorry I have my period," she panted and scooped her blonde hair into a ponytail. It cascaded down her back, splaying against her school basketball uniform.

I laughed, "No further explanation needed. I just have to get back to help Natalie a little bit with the kids before mom and dad come home."

"You just want to get ready for the party." Sam rolled her hazel eyes.

"No, no party. I'm going to Mandy's." I shook my head, leaning forward to find an opening in the long line of cars. In my peripheral vision, Sam gave me a hard look of disbelief but I ignored it, instead taking the opportunity to pull out of my parking space and into the line.

"Where are we going?" I asked, taking the chance to flip through the stations at a red light. "Julia's?"

"Yeah, she lives in Stony Brook. You take a right here." She looked up from her phone and pointed.

"Ok right, I remember."

"Ugh, Carter I really don't feel like playing tonight," she groaned, leaning back into the seat.

"Why not?"

"I have really bad cramps."

"You'll get through it. Just a couple hours, remember? Then you can come home and eat double chocolate fudge ice cream."

She tried to play it cool, folding her legs on the seat and just shrugging. But her hazel eyes lit up and I knew on the inside she was just as excited as a five year old in Disney World.

"Seeya!" Sam yelled and slammed the passenger door when I pulled into Julia's driveway.

"Good luck!" I called. She rolled her eyes, smiled, and shouldered her bag, trudging up their steep driveway.

I stopped at a gas station on the way home, filling up when Mandy's caller id appeared on my phone.

"Yeah?" I answered.