Chapter Twenty Five

thanks to everyone reading and don't forget to vote if you like the chapter!!

*********************************************************

The next day was Friday, the day of Lauren's party. The day of a test I had forgotten about in history. The day that I would escape this problem my dad put our whole family in. And I was practically shaking in my boots about it.

I was under strict orders from Mom not to tell a single soul about these kidnapping plans, since it was a kidnapping to everyone else but a getaway plan for us. Especially not Gabe, considering his dad was our town's sheriff.

So when he materialized out of nowhere Friday morning, hounding me about the car accident, I was forever grateful for the bell. I knew his intentions were pure, that he was just worried about me, but I cared too much for him to get him involved in this too. I practically sprinted down the hall and to my first period class, being the first one sitting in my chair by the time everyone else shuffled in.

"Hey," Mandy sang, wiggling her eyebrows.

"What?" I couldn't help but grin.

"Sooo, I heard about you and Gabe."

"What'd you hear?"

"That you crashed a football practice and stayed after with Gabe. Everyone knows that the coach considers every single one of those practices as sacred."

I let out a sigh. "Well that's not much. I was just going there to," I stopped myself before saying to call Luke, instead saying, "to find a quiet place to think." I shrugged. "He just happened to stay after I guess."

"Did you guys kiss?" Mandy leaned in, excitedly whispering.

I laughed, blushing. "No, I just kind of cried."

Her jaw dropped in a look of disbelief. "You cried? Carter Mason actually cried. I didn't know that was a thing."

"Well it is and I'm so embarrassed about it because I am the world's ugliest crier."

She laughed. "Believable."

Mr. Trent entered the classroom and brought the class to order, instructing us to get started on today's work. Mandy and I each took out our books, continuing our hushed conversation.

"On a more serious note, I was wondering if you wanted to come over tonight? Considering everything that's happened, I thought a girls' night would be much needed," She whispered, winking at me.

Considering everything that's happened. I swallowed and forced a guilty smile, suddenly feeling awkward. It was like she wanted to hang out with me out of pity. "I'm sorry. I was going to go to Lauren's party tonight with Drew. Do you want to come too?"

"Lauren's party? Why her?"

I grinned sheepishly, my cheeks heating up. "My pride wouldn't let me say no."

She rolled her eyes. "You know, one day, that's going to get you in trouble."

I didn't tell my best friend that it already has. It makes my heart hurt to think about how out of the loop she is about my life. She knew nothing yet I called her my best friend. Even though I knew I couldn't tell her anything, I still felt the guilt building up like Teddy's Legos in the pit of my stomach.

I pressed my lips together, shrugging. "You never know. So do you want to come to?"

She bit her lip in thought, "We'll see," before bringing up a new topic, "Oh! I also wanted to ask if it was true if-"