Chapter Twenty Nine

I pushed Gabe and Emily into the bathroom, waiting for those footsteps to enter this room. The bedroom doors of all my siblings slammed open accompanied with an angry snarl and a crash, either a bookshelf or a dresser or toys.

"Whatever happens, you two stay in here."

"What are you planning on doing?" Gabe asked. "Don't do anything stupid."

"Only if he gets too close. It's better for him to find one of us rather than all three.

"That is the definition of stupid," Gabe hissed. "I can't let you do that."

"I didn't say I was going to. But we need to think logically."

"What is logical about that? You could be killed."

"You get Emily to safety, find my Aunt Mary's boyfriend or other help. Or if you can, find my dad and tell him."
"Carter." Emily looked up at me with her sad blue eyes swimming with tears.

"I need to make sure my mom is okay too," I whispered, trying to ignore her puppy dog eyes just as a door slammed next door. I swallowed the lump in my throat, gathering my newfound courage and sucking in a deep breath. Quietly, I untucked the handgun from my waistband and flicked off the safety.

My parent's bedroom door flew against the wall with a loud bang and I jumped, knowing we were safe inside their bathroom for only a couple more seconds. Footsteps stomped over to Teddy and Jack's room, the adjoining room to my parent's bedroom. Loud crashes made my pulse rise and quicken at the violent sounds of toys flying off tables and a dresser crashing to the floor. They didn't care who heard them, displaying the confidence of someone who thought they were unbeatable. I swallowed again, the thought twisting my stomach. A second more and the footsteps were right outside the door. Gabe pushed Emily behind him and stepped inside the shower. One more second and they would find me. Me and then Gabe and then Emily. I had to protect them somehow, they didn't deserve to be involved in this. Come on, Carter. Grow some balls and use the element of surprise while you have it.

I stiffened my arms and gripped the handgun in steady hands. Quietly, I pushed the bathroom door open a crack.

"Carter." Gabe's voice was laced with worry and hesitation.

"Gabe, promise me you'll get Emily to safety."

"Car." He was conflicted, stuck, but I ignored it.

So, I pressed, "Promise me, Gabe."

"I promise." It was low and quiet, but I knew that he wouldn't betray me.

"I know you're in here, so don't even bother trying to hide," the man outside the door growled. He had his back to me. His broad shoulders stretched out a gray t-shirt and tattoos decorated his thick arms. He had a bald head and when he turned, he had an ugly scar that cut through his cheek.

As soon as he saw me, he snarled, "Hey!"

In that moment, I panicked. There was an angry flash in his dark eyes and adrenaline surged through my veins. It jumpstarted me and I flinched, the finger pressing against the trigger twitching in the process. Five minutes ago, I didn't think I was going to use that gun. But there I was, my arms steady and my grip as firm as it could be. The pad of my finger pressed against the trigger and in a split second, the bullet shot out with a bang. It was loud enough to wake both of our neighbors, if they were home. I stumbled back, the only thought in my head was: Defense, defense. I shot that in defense. But it wasn't defense, it was in fear.

The man in front of me took a couple steps back, shooting his hand up to where my bullet clipped his shoulder. Bright, red blood leaked from the wound, seeping into his gray t-shirt. There was a shout from downstairs but I couldn't hear it clearly due to the long stream of colorful profanities that was being spit out in front of me.