Chapter Twenty Seven

"Look what the cat dragged in," Lauren smirked as Drew and I walked in. Music blasted from the speakers, shouts and laughter erupting from every corner of the house. I was pretty sure that there wasn't any more room left for another person.

    "Why?" I shot back. "Is the dog jealous?" I knew she didn't want me here, I was only here because I couldn't let her get the best of me. I was too proud not to get the last word at her mocking taunts.

    Her face twisted like she'd eaten something sour and she stomped away, blonde hair bouncing against her back as she hurried over to Liam.

"That dress made you sassier, if that's even possible." Drew looked a little surprised. "I'm going to get something to drink, do you want anything?"

I shook my head. "Pass, but thank you."

Drew shrugged and got lost in the crowd, leaving me to wander off. I chatted with people here and there but I felt so detached. Life wasn't the same as it had been a week ago, and because of that I knew I had changed as a person. I felt so different in a way that made coming to this party seem like a waste of time.

"Carter?" I jerked my head around to find the source of Gabe's voice above everyone else's shouts and laughs.

"Hey." I smiled. It was just a natural reaction, but I was still a little upset at him from earlier.

"What happened today, I just," he paused, looking down and shoving his hands deep down into his pockets. "I just wanted to say that I'm sorry. I was asking too many questions and I didn't mean to be so nosy."

"Yes, you were," I agreed. "But thanks for the apology."

His eyebrows raised at my bluntness. Most girls would have just shrugged and said "Oh it's totally fine, I'm already over it. Thank you so much for the apology, it made me feel really special." At least, that's what Mandy would have said. But he was the one who had ditched school with me to go look for my siblings, he knew what was happening firsthand. For crying out loud, he saw me cry! I wasn't ready for questions, interrogations, or any of that. I was ready for all of this drama and nonsense to be over with.

"Are you still mad at me?"

"No. I just needed some time to cool off, I guess."

He grinned like a little kid with an ice cream cone and confessed, "Good, I don't like it when you're mad at me."

I opened my mouth to respond but one of the guys from the football team rushed over, yelling, "Gabe, come on, man."

"Comin'." Gabe shouted. To me he winked, "See you later."

The corners of my lips couldn't help but tug up into a smile at the warm feeling blossoming in the pit of my stomach. I probably stood there for a solid thirty seconds, looking ridiculous before I decided to go grab a bottle of water. I headed towards the kitchen only to see a flash of curly red hair disappear around a doorway.

"Mandy?" I followed her.

The red hair whipped around and Mandy's eyes lit up. "You are here! I thought you'd bailed!"

"Nope, I'm here  I told you I would be. The question is, why are you here?"

She rolled her eyes and planted her hands on her hips. "I couldn't leave my best friend to fend for herself in the one and only devil's lair, now could I?"

I laughed. "I guess not."

She gave a small laugh too before her eyes softened. "I also wanted to make sure you were okay. You've been distant lately and I know something's happening. It's not just Gabe either."

"I..." I trailed off, not sure what the best way to put it was. I dragged her over to the wall where we had more privacy than in the middle of the room.

I started again, looking down at my hands. "I know you've been there for me, you've made it clear and I'm so unbelievably thankful for that. But what I'm going through is something dangerous and I don't want to get you hurt."

She narrowed her eyes at me, searching for a hidden answer in mine. "Are you-?"

"No," I quickly cut her off, worried she was going to say something completely unrealistic and inappropriate. "You're my best friend and it's because we're so close that I can't tell you. I really just can't. I'm sorry."

Mandy was hurt. It was clear in the etched lines wrinkling her forehead and pricking her to form a sad smile. But she brightened up anyway, "It's okay, Car. You know what the best medicine for this is?"

"Chocolate?"

"Dancing! Come on!" She gripped my hand and dragged me out to the dance floor. It was the same as last week where that elated feeling filled me up like a balloon and my confidence soared. But this week I refused to get lost in the music or lose track of my phone. I needed to be able to get in touch with my Mom when she called me. This party was just a pitstop.

    "You're still worrying too much!" Mandy yelled over the blasting music. I laughed, she knew me so well. Just to appease her, I threw my hands into the air and exaggeratedly moved my hips side to side.

    "There you go!" She encouraged with a giggle, copying my movements.

    We danced like that, like last week for another song until I became acutely aware of something vibrating. I flipped over my phone to see the lockscreen: Mom.

    What? It was too early for her to call. We were supposed to leave later in the night. If it was time, though, it was time and I couldn't argue with that.

    "What's the matter?" Mandy asked, seeing me stop dancing.

    "I have to go."

    "Will you be back?"

    "At some point." I knew she was talking about if I was going to be back to dance, so I left my answer as vague as possible. I had no idea where this night would lead me.

    "Ok, I'll see you later." Mandy waved and resumed her carefree dancing.

    As fast as I could, I ducked out of the crowd. I ran up the stairs into the quiet hallway so I could quickly answer my phone before the call ended.

    "Hello? Mom, are you ready?" I answered.

    "Carter?" Emily's voice was drowning in panic, wavering as she said my name.

    "Emily," I whispered, barely able to make the words out. Something was wrong. What was wrong? Steel fingers gripped my heart, yet it still managed to pound louder than a bass drum.

    "You need to come home right now. Mom and I are in trouble," my eight year old sister cried, her voice muffled.

*********************************************************

Thanks so much for reading and don't forget to vote!!

-Scarlett :)