Chapter Thirty One

It has been exactly one week. One week since I have arrived at Aunt Mary and Marcus's place. One week since the unthinkable had happened.

When I had arrived, I had hugged my brothers and sisters before running outside again. My genuine smile had been proof of the happiness that flooded through me at the sight of all of them, safe and sound. But after awhile, I felt claustrophobic inside that house and I needed to breathe. I had wandered around until I had come across a thick tree that sheltered me from the rest of the world, providing me with the perfect view of the canopy and vast trunks of trees. So here I was now, my back pressed up against the bark. A half filled sketchbook rested on my thighs, pencil grasped loosely in my hand. So far the page held the picture of the landscape spread out in front of me, with unfinished trees towering over a squirrel here and there, their twisted branches covering the blanket of dry leaves. Each one showed their own struggle in their weathered bark and missing limbs. Yet somehow, they were all standing. They banded together with courage, bravery, and determination to protect the life of the forest floor.

I sighed, shading in one of the skinnier trees. How was I supposed to have courage, bravery, or determination after last week? I felt like I had fallen at the knees, unable to find my way up again.

Footsteps crunched on the leaves behind me. A minute later, Gabe sat down next to me.

"So this is where you've been hiding," He started.

"Not hiding," I rushed. "Just...thinking."

"Luke is looking for you again."

I didn't look up from my sketches. "Tell him I'll be there in a minute."

"Ok." He turned away and stared out at the peaceful nature surrounding us.

"Thanks for coming back that night," I whispered softly.

He smiled, "Anytime."

"Has Luke said anything about us yet?"

"Not yet," he laughed. "But we shouldn't have to worry about that, I'm a nice guy."

"Oh, you think so?" I laughed.

"I know so." His eyes drifted down to my pencil sketch. "You know what this picture needs?"

"What? Some more shading on this tree?" I squinted my eyes at it.

He took the pencil from my fingers, instead scribbling two smiling stick figures in the center of all the trees, one with long hair and one bald.

"Look, that's you." He pointed at the long haired one. "And that's me." He poked a finger at the bald one.

"Yikes," I grimaced.

He rolled his eyes. "I know, I know, I'm not the amazing Carter Mason when it comes to sketching. But this sketch needed you and me."

I blushed at his compliment before trying out the words in my own mouth. "You and me."

He grinned an award winning smile, whispering, "Just you and me."
**********************************
Hey everybody! This is it! The last chapter of One By One! I will be doing some editing and soon I will be in the process of writing another book!

Thank you to everyone who read and voted and shared and commented and helped me get this far!!

I couldn't have done it without you!
-Scarlett