Going Back North

~Ten Years Later~

"You want to what?" Ash asked Rose, her best friend, in dismay.

"I want to be the first female maester of the Night Watch." Rose explained. "My father wanted to be one but he didn't stay as one for long."

Rose was the eldest and only daughter of Sam and Gilly's four children. Many said she looked much like her father only with less fat and with a more curving figure. Like their fathers, Rose and Ash were the best of friends and sometimes inseparable.

"Your father is a maester." Ash said shaking her head.

"Yes but not of the Night Watch. Besides I don't have to marry anyone anyways."

"Rose you know that you are the only daughter of the eldest Tarly and you'd have to marry eventually."

"I'll let my brothers continue the line, boys carry the family name if they marry, not girls." Rose said shaking her head. "Besides it's not so bad being on the Wall. No wars to take part of anyways."

"Let's see how many boys try and get under your blankets when you are part of the Watch." Ash muttered under her breath and felt Rose smack her arm. "Come on that's why there are no girls there."

"Then I'll keep a knife under my pillow to cut off their member." Rose said. "That'll teach them to try and lay with a half wildling. Ash couldn't help but laugh. Unlike her father, Rose was less nervous about many things and much more adventurous. She liked to play with swords instead of dolls, she preferred riding like a man at full speed and come back home covered in mud, and she preferred the company of Ash and animals than other people who weren't related to her or who weren't her friends.

"It's the Wildling in her." Samwell would say. "She's brave enough to probably attack a White Walker if she ever crossed paths with one."

"Well you know I can't go with you and it'd be years before we saw each other again." Ash said as the two girls walked through the gardens of King's Landing.

"I'll write." Rose said pulling a tulip out of one of the basins. "Besides I only have to wait two years before joining, I'm only sixteen."

"I'm almost seventeen and I'm training to be a princess with the skills of a Westros knight, an Unsullied, and a Dothraki." Ash said doing a little twirl on the tips of her toes. "And I'm still not ready for any marriages."

"You aren't going to even fight anyone." Rose said tapping Ash with the tulip.

"What if one of those Vikings attacked us right now?" Ash asked. "I could fight them."

"You need to learn to fight against them, learn their fighting style." Rose pointed out. "Besides it's not like they're ever going to come right here."

"You never know that. And I've seen them fight before so I have been practicing." Ash said remembering the last time she was in Winterfell. A group of Vikings had ambushed the castle two years ago and since then, her and her siblings trips to the North were cut short. She smashed a few Vikings in the face with a dung shovel and kicked one between the legs when he was trying to take her two sisters Lyanna and Iona while her two younger brothers were hidden in the catacombs. "And I kicked and hit a few as well so I can defend myself from them."

"Some Vikings are much stronger than the ones who you fought." Rose said as they sat down on a bench to rest their feet. "And I don't doubt your fighting abilities Ash, you have trained with Jorah, ser Jamie, Greyworm, your father and ser Brienne, but you are so...so..."

"Stubborn, is that the word you were looking for Rose?" Ash asked. "If not stupid could be one but bravery is not what I am when it comes down to fighting."