Chapter 33

Kallai had barely sat down in her usual seat at the back of Spatial class when footsteps behind her had her turning around. Magi Althan, his cheeks pink as he shuffled his feet slightly, nodded at her. “Master Magan,” he said, his gentle voice even quieter than usual. “The headmaster wishes to speak to you. Immediately.”

            Unable to help gulping, Kallai nodded, quickly returning the few books she’d gotten out to her bag before standing. She kept her eyes on Magi Althan’s back, his black robe-coat billowing out behind him as he hurried through the halls, Kallai trotting just behind him. While she burned with curiosity about why she was being summoned, her old habits were hard to break, and fear of being in trouble was foremost in her mind.

            The time it took to reach the headmaster’s office was far too short for Kallai’s peace of mind. Worse yet, Magi Althan only waved her towards the office door before turning and hurrying back in the direction of the physiker’s office. Biting her lip, Kallai knocked softly on the door.

            “Come in,” came the muffled reply from inside.

            Taking a deep breath, Kallai pushed the door open, stepping inside before she studied the room she’d only seen once before. It was still much as she remembered it, a thick green rug covering the cold stone, a massive window overlooking he grounds taking up much of the back wall, and a huge desk sitting in the centre of the office. A tall, almost throne-like chair sat behind the desk, while two plushly cushioned chairs sat in front of it.

            “Please sit,” Headmaster Barda said, her hazel eyes as unreadable as ever as she gestured towards the chairs.

            Kallai gingerly sat on the edge of one of the chairs, doing her best not to shrink down as she usually did. “Headmaster,” she said, hoping her voice was even despite the sweat currently dampening her palms. “Why did you summon me?”

            Magi Barda looked down her beak of nose at Kallai for several seconds before folding her hands together on her desk. “Master Magan, it has come to our attention that things with you have…changed. And changed quite suddenly too, by all accounts. The rest of the faculty have noticed that your very demeanor is different. What has brought this about?”

            She blinked, unable to come up with an answer. Her mouth worked and she ducked her head, her mind racing for some kind of explanation that would placate Magi Barda.

            The headmaster continued, seeming to take her silence as some kind of assent. “Furthermore, I’ve heard rumours that you’ve been dabbling in strange magic, not the kind taught here. That kind of thing doesn’t reflect well on you, as a Magi candidate, nor on our fine school, which has traditions dating back centuries as you well know. Now, who has been teaching you this?”

            Kallai went cold, worry for Shuu causing the colour to drain from her face. She bit her lip, trying to think of an answer that didn’t involve her friend. A breeze wrapped itself around her ear, bringing with it his voice. “Sparrow, this woman for you nothing cares. If these Magi your new confidence have noticed, then why they your torment too not did notice? They must have. And so, why nothing it to stop did do?”

            His words rolled into her ear, and seemed to run straight down into her core, bypassing her mind and its ability to come up with excuses for others. Shuu was right. If they noticed that she wasn’t allowing others to attack her anymore, then why hadn’t they stopped the bullying? Why hadn’t they protected her? It seemed to her that all they were interested in was that what she was doing wasn’t going to give the school a bad reputation.

            Her hands clenched into fists, anger sparking inside of her, flooding her veins with warmth. She looked up then, meeting the headmaster’s eyes squarely, jaw tight. “Is there a problem with me not being willing to put up with abuse anymore?”

            Magi Barda sat farther back into her chair, her lips thinning. “I don’t remember any abuse.”

            “Really?” Kallai snapped, anger in full control of her, burning through every other emotion. “Then maybe you should go talk to Magi Althan. I’m sure he remembers my more than monthly visits to the physiker’s office. And I’m sure he can tell you that none of my injuries could have possible have been self-inflicted, in case you were wondering.”

            The headmaster flushed and waved a hand. “That has no bearing on the discussion at hand. I only wish to know where you’ve been learning this strange magic.”

            Kallai stood, her legs shoving the chair back so it fell with a thud onto the carpet. She didn’t flinch, her chin up, her eyes narrowed as they met Magi Barda’s. “I heard it on the wind,” she replied, before turning on her heel and stalking towards the door.

            Shuu’s laughter in her ears was overlaid by the headmaster’s demand that she get back there.