Education: Lab Grown Meat

You would think test tube meat would be safe for vegans to consume, because no animal is killed. There is also a benefit to the environment, as animals wouldn't need to be raised for food anymore. BUT there is a few issues that Bitesize vegan addresses in her video:

The major concern is that bovine fetal serum is most commonly used to grow the meat in. Bovine fetal serum is what it sounds like> stem cells collected from a calf fetus. In order to obtain this, when a dairy cow is brought in for slaughter she will often times still be pregnant (but is of no use to the dairy industry because she is a downer). The mother is cut open and blood is drained from the fetus to collect the stem cells).

But what if it was possible to grow meat without bovine fetal serum?... Well that's what super meat is proposing. However they have since deleted the video of their scientist explaining this... weird.

There's only a few problems which many youtubers have caught onto making response videos.

Production. Super meat still hasn't produced the product, this is why they are doing a start up. They need money to be able to create this product, they have everything planned out but it is yet to be created. This causes some people to worry as they might turn back to using bovine fetal serum if they can't get it to work.

Time. They have estimated roughly it will take about 5 years to complete. Some vegans are angry saying we should be supporting vegan meats that already exist instead of waiting on super meat. The truth is there is nothing wrong with supporting two things at once, you don't need to pore all your energy into one thing. But why support one when its not even vegan?

It's not for vegans? Super meat is being marketed towards meat eaters who don't want to change their habits... Vegans themselves shouldn't be consuming the product because its still meat, it has negative health consequences and animals have been exploited for its production. Vegans have worked hard to try to educate people that you don't need animal products to survive, why would vegans then support an animal product? Humans do not need super meat to survive therefore the animals they are initially taking biopsies from are being exploited.

 Vegans have worked hard to try to educate people that you don't need animal products to survive, why would vegans then support an animal product? Humans do not need super meat to survive therefore the animals they are initially taking biopsies fr...

So what if it does work? What if they can find away to create meat without using bovine fetal serum?

There will be less animals being raised, suffering, and killed for product. This in turn will help the environment, as less grain, water and greenhouse gases will be produced. Health wise... There will be less contamination of feces and pus, there will be less diseases passed around, no antibiotics, no added hormones.

BUT it will still be meat, it still contains all the same things such as natural hormones, saturated fat and cholesterol that causes the leading causes of death. But as many vegans say, let them destroy their health at least they won't be destroying the environment and killing animals anymore.