Chapter Twelve

Howard stood rigidly in the control room, watching the screen displayed on the wall. The surveillance footage of Kavala had just blinked out like a light being turned off.

"We need to get another drone in there now." He demanded, addressing the seventeen employees busy at their computers, including Maddie and James.

"Sir, we'll have to pull one out of Athens to get it there in time." A young man sitting at the table closest to him frantically typed a code into his computer.

"Then what are you waiting for?" Howard crossed his arms, his mind racing. He knew Nolan and Toby couldn't handle it. It was a stupid mistake to begin with. He'd hoped Grace could make up for their impurities since she'd been on multiple assassination missions...unfortunately, she'd been among his many failures the past few days.

Now Kavala was blacked out and he had zero intel on the happenings over there. Why hadn't the CIA been prepared for something like this? They wouldn't be able to get ground troops over there for at least two days and who knew how many EMPs could go off by then? Howard had already contacted the President, who was going to issue a state of international emergency.

Everyone was at risk of catastrophe.

The EMPs would affect more than the citizens themselves. It would all but shut down the government completely. It would immediately put a stop to the flow of commerce, especially online banking, and completely isolate the continents from one another. If they didn't protect it, all equipment used by the military would be useless also.

No communications.

No military support.

No way to stop the decimation of the world as they knew it.

Howard rubbed the tiredness away from his face. They needed to end it now before the EMP blasts spread. But how?

"Sir, we got one camera into the city."

Howard looked up to see a flying drone careening over Kavala. "James, I need eyes near the school area."

"Yes sir." James' bald head bent over his keyboard.

The camera soared over the streets, displaying that people had already built fires for both light and warmth. Some people were shooting flares into the sky, hoping someone would see them, others were banding together at the town square, shouting.

The audio itself seemed to vibrate the screen.

Howard licked his dry lips. "I need face identification on Dimyan Egor. He might still be in the area. Scan everyone there."

Out of the twelve screens on the wall, only three were online. Two for the camera, one for gathering data.

"I've got a match." A middle-aged woman said, her fingers flying over the keyboard.