Chapter Nineteen

Nolan never liked horror movies

Nolan never liked horror movies. The creep factor just never appealed to him. Now he was walking through an abandoned concentration camp. Well, abandoned despite the flocks of armed terrorists wandering the halls trying to hunt him down.

He and Grace were tiptoeing down yet another corridor, when Grace stopped.

"Do you hear something?" She whispered.

"More soldiers?"

She shook her head. "It's like...scratching, or something." She pressed her ear to the nearest door. "It's in here."

They exchanged glanced before making sure their guns were ready and opening the door.

It was dark, much like their previous prison, and six people were chained to the floor. They hardly had any room to move and each one was lying flat on their back.

Nolan saw that two of them were women, the rest men. They all stared at Nolan and Grace with wide eyes, but didn't speak or even move.

"Hi," Grace said awkwardly, kneeling next to the nearest prisoner and examined their chains. Oddly enough, they weren't old like the ones Grace and Nolan had been kept in. They were modern, but each pair was nailed directly to the floor.

"We're here to rescue you." Grace explained, fishing out the key from her pocket.

The prisoners exchanged looks.

"I'll keep watch." Nolan said, positioning himself outside the door.

How long had they been there?

He listened for any sounds of footfall, but all was silent despite the clank of handcuffs falling to the floor.

For a brief second he closed his eyes and allowed a slight groan to escape his lips. His forearm was beginning to feel like fire crawling up his skin and every breath felt like there were rocks crushing his chest.

How had they survived this far? He knew they were alive for a reason...but what? What could he do against a superpower such as Colossus? He'd joined the operation to clear his name; to start a new life. If he failed...he would only make it blacker.

Did he think he was a hero? Who was he to step up and save the world?

Footsteps.

Nolan straightened himself.

"Hurry up, Grace." He whispered.

"Trying."

Long shadows rounded the corner and Nolan raised his gun. He had extra clips stuffed in his pockets—apparently AKs were popular among Egor's employees.

Nolan peered through the scope and kept his limbs relaxed. He did a quickly calculation of a man's height and waited for half a second. The soldiers came into view and Nolan's crosshairs were already trained on their head.