Chapter Thirty-One

{This is an edited chapter that I have re-published} 

Grace leaned against the wall of an elevator that was taking her up to the ninth floor of a ritzy hotel building. She spoke into the tiny microphone clipped to the top of her blazer.

"Collin, are you there?"

"Yep. Have fun in there." Collin remarked, cutting off the communication to allow for the device to begin recording...just in case they'd need it later.

The elevator gave a ding! to mark its stop.

"Right..." Grace murmured, even though he was already gone. She smoothed out her navy blue skirt and straightened. Millions of words and sentences had flown through her mind. She knew how critical her presentation would be; what if she failed? It wasn't like they'd be willing to do what she said, not to mention the fact that they didn't know she was coming.

Stop, she told herself, mustering all the courage within her and marching down the hall to room 256.

Her goal was to redirect their planning to hone in on the central EMP located in London. They didn't need to make the terrorists their priority—they had to focus on their source of power. If the terrorists knew about a frontal assault, they'd be more than prepared to counterattack.

Grace exhaled to try and calm her quaking nerves as she marched down the hallway. When she opened the door, she was surprised to see only four of the world leaders sitting around a table, all of which she recognized.

Howard was directly across from her.

They all looked up to see who had interrupted their meeting.

"Grace Evans," Howard said slowly, his face expressionless. "I should've known at least one member of your motley crew would show up."

"Director Howard," Grace greeted, then nodded to the rest of the group. "Director Chang, Director McFarland, Director Augustus, I'm sorry to intrude upon your meeting, but I have been informed of vital information concerning your approach to this current situation."

Everyone was silent as Grace took her place, standing at an open spot at the round table.

Director McFarland, the woman from England, was the first to speak. "We thought you had taken your leave of this operation, Miss Evans."

Grace nodded politely. And I could've been back home with my family, except that I don't trust that my own government will do what's necessary to keep its citizens safe, was her mental answer. "You would be right, ma'am, but after our meeting in Austria my team and I decided to investigate further into the whereabouts of Colossus, which Director Howard had full knowledge of. I'm sure he informed you that we now have the location to shut down this entire EMP situation?"