Chapter Thirty-Four

"Thirty seconds, Clay," Howard said in Nolan's comm

"What about Toby and Grace? We don't have their position yet." Nolan said, racing down a hallway.

"We can't wait," Howard said briskly, urgently. Nolan knew that he wasn't being irrational this time. Colossus was pressing in and succeeding.

Nolan descended the stairs to the first floor and dove for a utility closet.

Two heartbeats passed.

The explosion nearly knocked Nolan to the ground, but he grabbed a collapsing shelf to catch himself.

The noise pierced his ears as glass shattered everywhere and walls crumbled in the distance.

Howard had pulled through this time.

Nolan made a run for it.

He dashed through the grand entrance of the palace, turned down three corridors, and came to a door at the back corner.

He kicked it open and began descending a flight of concrete stairs.

It was hauntingly quiet as he tried to keep his footsteps from echoing through the cold, damp space. The light illuminating the corridor was a constant red; not flashing or blinking, as if it was simply waiting for the storm to pass.

He pushed open the door at the bottom carefully, his heart racing more than it did when he was surrounded by enemy fire.

Before exiting, he shut his eyes tightly, a wave of nausea coming over him.

The quietness.

The red lights.

It reminded him of the cargo ship. The night he'd lost his team...his friends. Where were his friends now?

"Toby? Grace?" He whispered into his mic, trying to hide the desperation he felt in his voice.

"I'm here, Nolan," Grace whispered back. "I got a little close to that missile strike, but I'm okay."

Nolan gave a sigh. "Any word from Toby?"

"No."

"What's your location?"

"East Wing, near the servant's quarters, but I'm heading downstairs now."

"Good. Be careful."

"You got it."

Feeling half relieved, Nolan gritted his teeth and pushed open the door all the way, scanning the area with his rifle.

Nothing.

How could there be nothing?

Egor knew he was here. Knew he was close to the EMP. Howard's missile strike was a good distraction, but Egor was too smart to pull his forces away from the main objective of the military.