Chapter Thirty

Grace raked her hand through her hair frustratedly. She'd been trying to sleep for hours and it was already four o'clock in the morning. It was that strange time of night when her emotions were torn between themselves. Part of her brain was occupied with thinking about the meeting tomorrow...she'd have to do it by herself and if she didn't succeed the whole operation would fall apart. More people would be killed and the world would be overrun with terrorism.

Then the other part of her was caught between being angry with herself for kissing Nolan and wanting to do it again.

What about all those sleepless nights crying in her room, thinking about the empty way Grace's mother looked at her father?

But growing close to Nolan—or even Toby and Maddie—had shown her how long she'd pushed everyone away. How long she'd been alone. How nice it was to have friends. The same loneliness she'd seen in Nolan's eyes were just a reflection of her own.

Grace rolled her eyes at herself and sat up on the plush mattress, turning on the television.

The news coverage was temporarily on a group of cats saved from a house that had collapsed during an earthquake, but it quickly turned to the news of interest: the Russian airport shooting.

Grace rubbed her thumb across the remote's buttons, her face grim. The footage showed the same clips as before, people running outside and police swarming the building.

The news anchor on the screen wore a bright pink blazer that clashed with her red hair. "The attackers seemed to have come into the airport after cutting off electricity, open fired, and left."

The other broadcaster, an older man, nodded. "It would seem that killing as many people as possible wasn't their goal, which is quite odd for these kinds of attacks. The death toll is now up to twenty-five, which is a considerable number...but not as much as you'd think, would that be right, Jennifer?"

The woman agreed. "Yes, police officers suspect that they were equipped for a much bigger attack."

"And the suspects are still unaccounted for," the other anchor added, "We'll be sure to keep you updated, this has been—"

Grace turned it off and sighed.

If we hadn't left, we wouldn't be here right now. She kept telling herself...but the guilt persisted. Twenty-five people dead.

And they could've stopped it.

"You need to do something productive," she muttered, throwing back the covers and getting dressed. It was almost 5:30, so she decided to make a plan.

When she came back from the store, it was nearly 6:30. Toby had sent them a message the previous night to meet in the lobby at 7.

Grace packed up her things and decided she could wait for everyone downstairs instead of stewing in her room for another hour.