I Didn't Tell You.

She lifted the the damp rag and gently ran it across his wound. He hissed in pain as the chemicals cleaned away the bacteria, but didn't lift his head. Neither of them made eye contact.. She said nothing through her pursed lips as she kept at her work. After a good few  minutes, the girl opened her mouth.

"So, are you going to tell me what happened?" The boy remained silent. He hadn't said anything when he came home either. He told his girlfriend nothing of what had gone on. He didn't tell her that he got in a fight over her. He didn't tell her that she was what mattered most. He didn't tell her that he would endure this pain x10 all over for her. No, instead he stayed silent. Absolutely silent.

She sighed and wrapped bandages around his torso. She didn't tell him that the bruises looked painful. She didn't tell him that she loved him. She didn't tell him that she wished he would talk to her more.

For more than two years, the couple had lived in their small apartment. At first they told each other everything, no matter how small it was. But over the days, weeks, and months, they stopped talking. They both longed to hear the other's voice, but no one started a conversation.

As she finished, she began putting the cleaning materials away. She longed to speak to him, but she felt like there was nothing she could say to him. As she left the room, she looked back.

"I wish you would talk to me more. I feel like you don't love me anymore." He didn't lift his head. He didn't tell her all of the things he longed to proclaim to her. He didn't tell her that he wanted to show the world that she was his. "If you don't say anything, I'll assume it's true." He didn't tell her anything. She sighed. "Goodbye."

The next day when he came home, all of her things were gone and a single letter was left on the kitchen table. Delicately, he picked it up and opened it. He recognized her simply, scrawled handwriting.

I know we haven't spoken much lately, but I no longer feel the way I used to and I assume you feel the same. So I'll leave without saying a word. I won't tell you how much I still love you. I won't tell you how much I still long to hear your voice. I won't tell you goodbye. I wish you the best.

A single tear slid down his cheek. It represented that he didn't tell her how much he cared. More tears fell and each one held a different, I didn't tell you.

Years later when they met on the street, him still alone, her with a husband and baby, the tears fell again. All of the I didn't tell you's came out in his last words to her.

"I didn't tell you how much you were worth. I'm glad he did." They never spoke again.