Chapter 7

Alec watched them go, matching Sophia's sadness with a twinge of his own, then crossed the lawn to the canapé table and examined the various selections, plopping a crab puff into his mouth. He felt badly for his neighbour and he was suspicious that she was a victim of some abuse. It wasn't his business but he wasn't going to ignore the possibility either. He would keep an eye on things and play it by ear. A hand tugged at his sleeve.

"Alec, I'd like you to meet my friend, Darlene. This is my neighbour, Alec Fletcher." He turned to find himself facing a quite striking woman with short, dark hair and smiling eyes that captivated. She extended her fingers and Alec mumbled something through the crab, setting his drink on the table to take her hand. "Darlene tried out her new position today so we're using tonight to celebrate."

He gaped at Brenda, his face becoming pink in the lantern light.

"A new job, Alec, a new job." Brenda started laughing and Darlene joined Alec in changing colour.

"Aah, how nice. Excuse me, this crab is sticking to my teeth." He took a mouthful of drink and swished it around in his mouth before swallowing. "I apologize. Hardly a good first impression." He smiled with burning cheeks at the two women.

"Don't worry, I told her you were a writer and didn't get out in public much." Brenda bent with a squeak of laughter as his face flamed brighter and he averted his eyes from an amused Darlene.

"How do I begin to thank you?" He said, good-naturedly. "Can I get you a drink? That might be a good start."

"Vodka and soda, please," Darlene said.

"I guess Molly doesn't serve beer, does she? I'll have a rum and coke. Lots of ice." Brenda leaned between them and helped herself to a mysterious piece of pastry.

"Is it necessary to give out my life story?" Darlene tried the same pastry and nodded with pleasure.

"He's nice isn't he? I told you. Very malleable."

"Brenda! That's mean. He is ni—holy shit!"

"Excuse me?"

"That's him!"

"Him who?" Brenda turned to see where she was looking.

"The guy that hit on me at work." Darlene turned her back and tugged at her friend's arm. "Don't let him see us."

"Wally! You work at Wally's place?" Brenda started to laugh and in a moment she had the attention of the others as she bent over, stepping in small, random circles.

"Drunk already, Carlisle?" Wally swaggered up, pulling Cheryl after him. He glanced at Darlene without recognition and chuckled. "This your new girlfriend?"

Brenda looked up, nodding and still fighting her laughter. "Yes- yes it I- it is, Wally. Meet my new g-g-g-irlfriend-d-d, Darlene. Honey, this is Wally Spade, stud about town." She reeled back and started laughing all over again as Darlene turned her blistering stare on Wally.

"YOU!" He stepped back as if slapped and glared at Brenda. "This some kinda jok—"

"Your drinks, ladies." Alec stepped into the center of the group and delivered the drinks, keeping his back to Wally. May I show you about the garden, Darlene?" He held out an arm and led the way across the lawn away from the fuming Wally Spade.

Regina and Emily arrived just as Wally was strutting across the lawn toward the upstairs group, the gangly mod Cheryl, following helplessly on blocky platforms. They changed course and glided with stately grace toward Millicent, greeting their hostess and those with her in a most gracious manner.