Chapter 14

Art stopped typing and gave his partner a 'duh' look. "Are you tellin' me you're keepin' that old broad under your column of suspects?" He watched White chalk Regina's name at the head of their list of possibles.

"Art, the vic was her stepson. I know," he held up a hand, "that is still to be proven, but listen a sec. Her husband, the vic's real father, leaves her when they have a kid of their own, a kid that's got nothin' but health problems and eventually dies of a brain tumor. When the husband dies, she finds out that the first wife is still alive and along with her son, eligible for the estate. With no will in the picture, they fight and win the lot leaving Regina holding a bagful of medical bills." He turned back and stabbed his chalk into her name. "I think she found out who the victim was and took revenge."

Art pushed his chair back and rubbed his eyes. "I can see the dots you're connecting, partner, but Jesus, she's so goddam old! She would have had to get into the building, up to the second floor, confront the vic and bash his brains in. Then she has to boogie outta there, get back to her apartment and ditch the weapon somewhere." He shook his head and rubbed his eyes. "I just don't see it. Christ, you really think an old broad like that could clobber a young guy that hard?"

"Yes. Although I can't see her running around the building like that. Surely someone woulda heard. The dog."

"There you go."

"Yeah but it works so well, Art. The motive and the opportunity are sure there."

"Okay. I'll get the lab boys to send somebody out for the clothes she was wearing. If she hasn't washed or chucked them, we can check for blood spatter."

"Maybe we should have another look around her apartment too. Maybe the weapon was some convenient ornament."

"I'm still likin' the old guy. Why, for instance didn't that mutt of his bark? The damn thing wouldn't shut up every time we went in and out."

"I don't know. Maybe 'cause it knows the other residents." He thought about that for a minute and checked his notebook. "That's odd." He told his partner what Millicent had said about the dog.

"Aha! My choice is lookin' better all the time."

"I think we need to look at those statements again."

*****

Alec poured the last of his beer into his glass and set the empty bottle aside. Across the small table, caught in the flickering light of the candle, Darlene took dainty sips of her wine. A low-key instrumental of Moonglow issued from the hidden speakers, adding a touch of nostalgia to the ambience. Alec took a swallow and moved his arm aside as the waiter placed their meals in front of them with a flourish.

"May I offer you some ground pepper, madam?" Darlene gave an affirmative nod and smiled. "Sir?" Alec said yes. "Enjoy your meals." He melted away into the bluish tint of the large dining room.

"I certainly didn't expect a place like this," Darlene said, poking for a forkful of salad.

"You thought I was the drive through type, eh?"

"No, since you don't own a car."

"Shrewd. I like that. How's the salad?"

"Great. Want some?"

"No thanks, I've plenty with this pasta dish to keep me busy." They ate in silence for a while, listening to the relaxing musical selections then Darlene asked, between mouthfuls. "Who do you think did it?"

Alec made a face. "I didn't really want to talk about that tonight."

"How can you not? We're all under investigation for heaven's sake. They've been to our office dozens of times already."

"To speak to you?"

"Once." She began eating again.

"Doesn't sound like an intensive investigation to me. I haven't spoken to anyone since after the night it happened." They continued eating, smiling between mouthfuls and casually observing other patrons as well as each other. The waiter drifted by eventually, refilling water glasses and removing a few dirty dishes.

Darlene finished her meal and set her fork down, dabbing at her lips with the linen napkin. She waited for Alec to stop chewing, taking another sip of wine.

"I think it was that Morano man."

"Darlene, must we?" Her look said definitely yes and he sighed, taking the last spoonful of pasta and shoving his plate away. "Okay, let's get it over with." She pouted and he continued. "Why Morano?"

"Because he was jealous of his wife and they fought about it just before he stormed inside. And it wasn't their first incident of the evening." She said, getting into the topic with some excitement.

"Yeah but he's like that all the time, Darlene. You don't live there. You should hear those two go at it sometimes. I don't think this was any different."

"Maybe it was the last straw." She said.

"Maybe, but I doubt it. I lean toward Geena." He said, for no other reason than to satisfy her need to discuss the subject.

"Geena! Why on earth for? That's a ridiculous choice." Darlene tossed her napkin on the table and leaned forward in combat readiness.

"Why ridiculous? She had a fight with Wally right in the garden. She even hit him, and she was the one that discovered the body, remember? That was her scream."

"So?"

"So she doesn't even live on that floor. What was she doing up there?" Darlene worked her mouth for a response but couldn't come up with a good one. "I think she's a good candidate." He said.

They sat thinking in silence, Darlene finishing her wine and declining more, Alec sipping from his water glass. The waiter arrived on schedule, whisking away the remains of the meal and replacing it with an elaborate dessert menu.

"Coffee?" He queried, nodding yes for them and hurrying away.

"Did you know she was staying with Brenda?"

"Who?"

"Who? Geena, that's who. That's who we're talking about."

Alec straightened at her tone and softened his expression. "Sorry, I guess I lost track. No, I didn't know that. Why is she staying there?"

"Bren says that she and Gary are splitsville."

"Such eloquence, splitsville." Alec repeated with a hint of sarcasm. Darlene frowned. "When did this happen?"

"The next day." She replied, suddenly losing interest in the conversation.

"Adds fuel to my theory, eh?"

"If you say so."

"What's the matter with you all of a sudden? The bit about Geena and Brenda?"

Darlene pursed her lips. "You know what, Alec. I think I'll be going, thanks for dinner." She pushed her chair back, grabbed her purse and started out.

"What the...?" Alec gaped at the empty chair.