Chapter 18

The paramedics worked quickly and efficiently on Gary. They had him bedded, bagged and bundled out of the building at blistering speed. Geena stayed back to answer the police officers questions for his report of the nine-one-one call.

Regina had reported an unpleasant garbage smell in the hall outside her door and when Millicent couldn't get an answer at the door she tried the phone, finding the line busy.

Geena was sought out at Brenda's, and came down with her key. Gary had not left the apartment since the night of the party. Fast food packages were scattered about. Partially eaten and quickly turning bad, pieces of pizza and chicken parts in greasy buckets stood on the tables surrounding his computer desk.

He was slumped in his chair, earphone clamped to his head, a bristly, reddish brown beard with crumbs and drool matting the growth rested against the tiny microphone and a pair of dull, lifeless eyes stared at the vivid blue screen with the frozen image of Norton's Crash Guard menu.

When she learned that Gary would be in hospital for quite a while, Geena made arrangements for Millicent's cleaning company to come in and scour the apartment and then she arranged to have it completely repainted, stem to stern. Brenda was jubilant at the fact that she would retain her house guest for at least another week and set about making plans for some time off from work.

Everything was coming up those roses.

*****

Before arranging for an advertisement for the vacant Barrymore Suite, Millicent tried approaching Stanley regarding the young lady he had taken in as a companion. Considering her fondness for him, his tenure and the genuine affection the two seemed to share, Millicent said she would allow Cheryl to have the empty apartment.

Haggis was ecstatic when Stanley helped her to move her few items out of his quarters, in spite of the fact that she had been extremely kind and friendly. What Haggis hadn't expected, was the inordinate amount of time Stanley would be spending upstairs, forsaking regular walks and back scratches.

At first, Cheryl was embarrassed about appearing to the other residents as a kept woman; they were all aware that her income fell far short of that necessary to pay rent at Garbo Towers. But it wasn't long before she realized that they were indifferent to her situation, welcoming her into their 'family' without any constraints. Her lover and benefactor lived downstairs and Sophia and Emily were in the same line of work, albeit much more sophisticated than a coffee shop, and the rest turned out to be good friends.

When Cheryl saw Alec come into the coffee shop, she hurried to his section and greeted him with a bubbly hello and a steaming coffee.

"I didn't realize this was where you worked." He said.

"Yup. Six years now."

Alec mentally calculated how old she must have been when she started. "An old hand, eh?"

"I hope to get the day manager's job one of these days." She lifted a menu from the rack and opened it in front of him. "What are you doing downtown anyway? I thought you stayed at home and just used the mail."

He made a business of examining the menu, formulating an answer. "I'm uh, down to see Darlene."

"Oh yeah, she works at Wally's place, doesn't she? Yeah, that's right over there." Cheryl nodded across the street and Alec turned to see a grey brick building with simulated columns cast into the cement work flanking the gothic-arched front entrance. A large brass plaque announced the building as the site of Belmont Reproductions.

"Are you meeting her for lunch?"

"No, I'm just down to- to see her." He let the sentence trail away and handed her back the menu. "Just the coffee, Cheryl. Thanks."

Darlene's eyes widened and then she composed her face noncommittally as Alec entered the reception area. She watched him amble toward the wall photographs of printing promotions with which Belmont Reproductions had secured awards and kept answering the phone lines as they rang. Alec shuffled about, hoping for a break to get a minute to speak to her. As he neared the desk, she hit several switches, removed her headphone and folded her arms.

"What are you doing here, Alec?"

"I came to see you obviously. I want to know what happened the other night, why you walked out and why you won't take my calls." She leveled her grey eyes at him, an apparent response building to a boil inside. "Before you get angry," he pleaded. "I'm also here to apologize...regardless."

Darlene chewed her top lip, her planned assault thwarted by his comment. "I- you seem to have trouble getting the idea out of your head that I am possibly gay. Just because a good friend leans that way doesn't mean it's infectious."

"I know and I didn't think that, I- Brenda keeps suggesting... things. I don't know, look let's just forget it. I apologize. I would very much like to see you again. If you feel that way, you have my number." He offered a wave and turned to the door.

"Brenda suggests things?" Her voice stopped his departure.

"The other night when you were on the phone and she invited you over—"

"How do you know that?"

"I was there. I mean I went there to see if she would talk to you on my behalf. When I asked about you coming over she- she- you know that shirt she wears, that no-brainer thing?" Darlene nodded slowly, her eyes locked on his. "Well, she tossed that up at me."

Darlene slipped her headset back on and flipped some switches. "I have to get back to work." It was a dismissal and Alec left feeling worse than when he arrived.

*****

Sophia splashed the rich red wine into the glasses and handed them out with the excitement of a birthday child. Sebastian sat on the sofa beside Emily, next to Robbie, and they all raised their drinks in celebratory toast.

"To Robbie, my hero Perry Mason." Sophia bleated.

"Here, here!" They all drank.

"To my wife who could have left me to rot in jail...and maybe shoulda." Sebastian leaned up for the wet kiss Sophia ran around to deliver.

"To Sebastian, for being left handed!" Robbie laughed, spilling his wine on his beige slacks. "Oh shit!"

"Get them off, quick!" Emily cried, jumping up, hands out.

"What?"

"Do as she says, Robbie. If you don't treat them right away you'll never get the stain out."

Standing up and looking at the others, Robbie shrugged and undid his pants. "I didn't know it was going to be this kind of party."

"Hey look! He's a boxer guy!" Sophia and Sebastian hugged and laughed at their shared joke.

Emily took the trousers to the bathroom and the others sat back down, Sophia getting her lawyer friend another glass of wine.

"You should give this girl some thought," Sophia said, nudging Robbie. "She could be a great catch."

"Just don't snag the old mother-in-law with her." Sebastian said, taking a slap on the arm for his trouble.

"Is this instead of paying me for my services? I get a matchmaking consultation?"

"You could do worse. She has a lot to offer."

"Yeah, besides, she's already into your pants."

Sophia pummeled her husband's chest and they wrestled themselves off the sofa onto the rug. "You are terrible, Sebbie."

"I got it out of your pants." Emily returned and stood with eyebrows raised, holding Robbie's wet trousers. "Did I miss something?"

"Doesn't look like it," Sebastian choked a laugh and the three of them broke into laughter, with Emily half smiling, bewildered.

The roar of laughter rang through the halls of Garbo Towers, igniting a noisy response from Haggis.