Chapter 17

Sophia hung up the work phone and stared at Emily with wide, wet eyes. "They've arrested Sebastian!"

"What? Why? I mean- I mean why Sebastian?"

"I don't know." She hurried to the cupboard and grabbed her jacket. "I have to down there. He needs me, Em."

"Of course, of course. I'll- I'll go with you."

"Oh would you? I really need somebody to be with me. Harry will be okay there isn't much business tonight anyway. I might just- oh hurry, call a cab while I call a friend of mine."

Sebastian could see the two detectives trying to calm his wife down out in the main office. With the door shut, he couldn't hear what they were saying, but he knew Sophia's character enough to understand that she was raising hell...Italian style. He scowled at the figure of Emily, standing back meekly, her hand darting out now and then as if to steady his wife. That should be him comforting her, he cursed to himself.

The door opened and Detective Washington came in, closing the door behind him. He crossed the room and sat behind the desk, taking out a rather bulky folder and skimming through some of the contents.

"You've had a busy life, Sebastian."

"Meaning?"

"Well, look at all this paperwork. I mean, you've cost this city quite a lot of time and money haven't you?"

"Old news. There's nothin' current in there and you know it." Sebastian glowered at the detective.

"But it suggests a pattern, doesn't it, Sebastian. Public disturbances. Bar fights. Domestic abuse complaints. These all point to a man with some serious temper problems."

"Make your point."

"I did, Morano. Your temper problems. I think you had another one with Wally Spade."

"You're nuts." Sebastian picked at the edge of the table with his thumbnail. "Yeah, okay, I got on him at the party but he went in. That was it."

"Really? You went in after him."

"Yeah. After him, not after him. I was pissed at Sophia and the whole stupid party thing—and I wanted a beer."

"You wanted a beer." Art flipped through a few more pages. "You drink a lot of beer, don't you?"

"So what. And don't bother with the drunk and disorderly. That was- was- ten years ago."

"Patterns, Morano. Patterns."

"Screw your patterns! I didn't do the creep, okay?"

Art looked out to the anteroom, closed the folder and headed to the door. "Wait right there." The door closed quietly and Sebastian shook his head and cursed. Sophia was right. Goddam Sophia was always right.

******

Alec listened while the phone rang and rang, unanswered. He replaced the receiver and drummed his fingers on the plastic casing. Was she in and not answering? Was she out? Was she, was she, was she... He dropped his feet to the floor and grabbed his coat. Locking the door he started down the hall, a piece of the yellow police tape stuck in the baseboard molding caught his eye. He bent down to pick it up and heard Brenda's voice inside her apartment.

A little ashamed, he leaned his ear toward the door and listened closely. Brenda was trying to convince someone to come over, explaining that just because she had a temporary roommate, nothing had changed. He was about to go, more embarrassed than ever at eavesdropping, when he heard her use Darlene's name. He knocked on the door.