Part 10

Two of the catering staff hastened to arrange the seating and set up the lectern with the necessary lighting. A large tray of goodies was placed on the table beside the lectern along with the special bottle of champagne and the flutes from which to drink. Millicent moved about gracefully directing the arrangements and adding her own touches to the placement of the different items.

When she at last deemed that all was ready, she tapped the portable microphone and asked that everyone take their seats. Sophia found a chair next to Geena, and Brenda, carrying her drink and spilling a few drops on her dress as she sat, joined them a few minutes later. A caterer passed behind their chairs offering tidbits of Pierre's creations.

"Looks like this is turning into lady's night out," Brenda chuckled, helping herself to a deep fried shrimp.

"Probably be a better time anyway," Geena said dully and drawing an interested glance from Brenda.

"Their all just little boys." Sophia laughed with a forced heartiness. "They'll be back looking all sheepish and stumble-footed."

Brenda leaned back to watch Alec and Darlene come from the shadows and cross to the group of chairs Millicent had arranged for her champagne tribute. They were looking a little moony, she thought. Maybe introducing them hadn't been such a bad idea. Brenda felt a slight pang, and then with a glance at the side walkway, turned her attention back to the small lectern and Millicent.

"Has anyone seen Emily?" Regina asked, scouring the garden with a laser glare.

"She was by the bar earlier." Sophia said. Regina's brow lifted, a trace of amusement twitched her lips.

"Really. Perhaps I'll look inside. I won't be long Millicent, you can carry on whenever you like." Regina rose and sailed off toward the building.

"Poor kid," Brenda said. "Must be awful always having someone like that hanging over you."

"She's no kid." Geena observed. "She was married once, I hear." Sophia and Brenda both turned their heads in surprise.

"Hi guys." Alec and Darlene joined the group, sitting together a row ahead. "This the big moment?" Alec grinned.

"It is indeed, Mister Fletcher." Millicent called from the lectern. "Glad you could finally make it."

"I wouldn't have missed it, Millicent." He leaned over to Darlene and muttered a yikes.

*****

The lanterns dimmed, leaving all but the area immediately around the lectern in relative darkness and Emily sat up with a start. The young bartender moaned and repositioned his hand inside her dress.

"They're starting the tribute." She said with alarm. "I've got to get back."

"Huh? No, not yet, Emily." He pulled her back down, riding one leg up over her hip.

"Stop! Stop it!" Emily shoved the boy away and scrambled to her feet. Her dress was bunched around her waist and she batted it down, wiping frantically at the wrinkles. My god, she thought, what have I let myself into? She looked at the frightened face of the boy who was pleading for her not to say anything because of his job, and it almost made her laugh. Like I would mention the fact that I let a child half my age take me for a tumble in the middle of a garden party. She waved a hand, assuring him not to worry and made her way quickly to the gathering.

"Here she comes. Where have you... been, Emily?" Sophia immediately took in the flushed cheeks and the fresh creases in the dress and clamped her mouth shut. She stood and pulled the woman down into a chair next to her, holding a finger against her lips and nodding her understanding. Brenda moved to the back row to make room.