20 / thirty-eight days before

Sutton approached our table by the far corner of Java Jones, holding two cups of steaming tea. "Here. They'll serve our double layer pancakes in a few."

I nodded, reaching out to take the mug from her. "Thanks. You didn't have to do this, you know. I'm fine now."

She settled on the chair across from me, flipping her blonde hair over her shoulder. "Who said I was doing this because of the fiasco last Monday?"

I sent her a flat look and took a sip from the drink.

"I can treat my friend to breakfast without reason," she argued, scrunching her nose. "I came here to have a good time but I'm honestly feeling attacked right now."

"Stop being dramatic." I laughed. "I know you can. I was just asking if there was a particular reason..."

"Fine," Sutton muttered, rolling her pretty blue eyes. "I'm just worried about you. Thankfully, nothing worse happened after the comments and the principal carried out the punishments towards the people responsible. The players from East Hampton High were given the same punishment as well."

"That's good," I said quietly, tracing the rim of the mug with my finger, "what was it again? Two weeks suspension, banishment for future games, a month of community service and a meeting with the parents?"

Sutton gave me a high-five. "Sounds about right, but those are for the basketball players who threatened you. The rest who said shit and called you names were given a written warning and an offense in their records."

I nodded again. "At least the problem's been taken care of. I was worried Theo was going to do something."

"I'm pretty convincing, actually," she stated with a smile, resting her chin on her palm. "But this doesn't mean either of you have easily forgotten about it."

"My brother...holds grudges. Even if he didn't do anything, he's not going to forget this."

"I think Faust wouldn't easily let this go, either."

"Ah." I shook my head and took another sip of the tea. "Faust found out because JJ accidentally let it slip that he treated me out for yogurt to cheer me up. His reaction was calmer than my brother's, but I got scolded nonetheless for not telling him."

The blonde cocked her head to the side. "Why didn't you tell him?"

Shrugging, I exhaled heavily. "I don't know. Guess I just didn't want this to be a bigger deal than it was."

"Understandable. When is Faust coming back to school anyway?" she asked, flashing the waiter who just set our plates down a thousand-watt smile. He briskly walked away blushing. "Is he still sick?"

I picked up the fork and knife and nodded. "He told me his fever's gotten worse. I plan to visit him today after school."

Sutton shoved a forkful of the cake batter in her mouth. "Need a ride? I've got debate practice after school but it won't take long. Man, this blueberry is so good."

I'd already asked Sutton for too many favors, so I shook my head as I chewed on my own chocolate-flavored pancake. It tasted heavenly too. "I think I can ask JJ or Paula. Maybe Nico. I can take the bus too. Besides, you've already done so much for me. I can't thank you enough."

"Thea, sometimes," she started, holding up her fork with a piece of blueberry pancake and reaching out for mine with the chocolate-flavored, "there are things in life that surprisingly make a good combination. Like blueberry and chocolate."

I frowned. "Uh, but—"

The blonde shushed me and placed both pieces inside her mouth. She nodded profusely and chewed, closing her eyes in contentment. "Like you and I as best friends. Completely different yet still tastes amazing."