Level Sixteen: Work Day

re-written on 01.18.2018

"What are you wearing?" Allie questioned the next day at work.

I shot her a dry look, "It's PJ day, Allie, did you really forget?" I told her as I cleaned up around the main registers and she was folding up some inventory to put out onto the floor. I looked up to see where JC was and saw him flirting away with some blonde tourists. JC was always good at reeling customers in and especially the girls.

JC was strutting a dinosaur blue onesie and I was strutting a baby pink dinosaur onesie. My brother would come in later and take pictures to hang up on the bulletin board in the front of the shop to lure in customers. Allie was all dolled up and not wearing anything remotely close to PJ's even though I did tell her last night that it was PJ day at work today.

Most of the other associates were in PJ's but Allie.

I would forgive her though, because I loved her and she just got back from a cruise.

"Erik's bugging me about wedding dates, already." Allie blew a small raspberry in irritation.

I snort lightly, "You guys just got engaged, like, not even a week ago."

"Exactly!" Allie nodded eagerly happy that I understood her problem, "Like, let us plan at a leisure pace and not rush into anything with the planning. I told him that I wanted the wedding to be perfect and rushing for dates and stuff, like, that won't achieve that."

"He probably just wants you to have his last name really bad." I giggle.

Allie's expression softened and her bitchy expression vanished, "You think?" She mumbles with a small blush.

I nod eagerly, "Definitely, he knows what a bombshell he scored."

Allie smiled and nudged my shoulder, "You sure know how to make me feel better." She sighs, "The whole family is freaking out, too, I guess they never saw me settling down with a guy." She rolls her eyes with irritation, "Especially my mother, you know, how she is."

Her mother loved bitching at Allie and pointing out Allie's flaws.

"Oh, yeah, totally." I mumbled knowing her pain since I've been on my Aunt's warpath before.

"Are you ready, ma'am?" Allie sweetly asks some older lady shopping with her teenage daughter.

Allie rings the customers up and I grab the clothes she was folding to put out onto the sales floor. JC wanders up to me with a large grin that just screams he's looking for trouble, "JC, I swear, if you start something, I will cut you." I warned him firmly.

He pouts cutely, "I can't have some fun at work?" He whines lightly.

"You know, your idea of fun isn't...safe." I joked with a snort.

JC's mouth twitches into a smirk of amusement, "Remember our drunken tattoos?" He whispered secretively into my ear as if he were telling me the secret behind Area 51.

I roll my eyes and dryly state, "How could I ever forget the reason why I don't drink anymore." My mother gave me such an earful when she found out, via Edgar may I add, that I had gotten so drunk that I actually got a tattoo. JC, also, got an earful from my mom, too.

JC gives a large grin of pride, "You gotta admit...for a drunken tattoo, it is nice."

"Yes, yes," I mutter with disdain for the unicorn tattoo permanently itched into my flesh, "It will, also, make for just a lovely story to tell to my children and my grandchildren."