Chapter 2

This chapter is dedicated to the brightest stars of my life. Mithee371 and ArifRabbani9. Thank u guys for your motivation.

I had known Adi since kindergarten. Let's say we stepped on the wrong foot on the very first day. It was Art's class. Allow me to tell you one thing. I've always loved to draw. In fact, I got to apply the brush first before scribbling with a pencil. Bright colors made me smile. That's how you can tell why my personality is so animated.

It was a nice sunny morning. Our teacher led us outside the classroom. She gave each one of us a chart paper and few colors. The theme of the class was "Water." After investing so much thought, I resolved to draw a fish. Trust me, I wanted to draw a mermaid as "The little mermaid" was my favorite cartoon but I wasn't an expert back then. So, I attempted to get to the yellow colored cutie fish "Flounder" from "The little mermaid", carefully filling colors so it doesn't get messy.

I was on the top of the world my teacher gave me an A with a three stars. I think all of you will agree that those stars in our notebook or assignment during our primary school meant the world to us. Naturally, I started bragging and showed my drawing to all my friends.

On the other hand, Adi got a D on his drawing and the reason was very simple. Adi and arts cannot be written in the same sentence. He could not even draw a straight line. To add more to it, he lacked patience since he was a child. So, to fill colors in his drawing with concentration was out of the question. Here, I was on cloud nine and he was sulking in his chair alone.

One of my friends showed him my chart paper. Like a spoilt sport he was, he did one that was quite expected from him. He poured the used paint water on my chart. My painting, my stars and my A were all smeared with dirty paint. Seeing my efforts and reward gone in vain, I did one thing that every six-year old girl does. I started bawling my eyes out and sobbed uncontrollably. Did I forget to mention that he had the nerve to laugh?

******************************************************************************************************

After the Art's class incident, I had harbored hard feelings for Adi. Why wouldn't I? Not only he destroyed my drawing, but he likewise made me cry. He sort of rubbed me the wrong way. Little did he know that I wasn't a type of a girl who would sulk and have pity on themselves when someone does wrong to them. Instead of waiting for a knight in shining armor, it's better to be your own savior. Hence, I rather believed in fighting back. After days of diving on nasty revenge plans, I came up with the classic prank.

I can still vividly remember that day. I bore an evil smirk all morning because it was payback time. I sat behind Adi's bench. Luckily Adi loved to sit along the farther benches from the blackboard, so it was easy for me to conceal my activities from the class teacher. I dropped my pencil and pretended to pick it up. Then I carefully tied his right shoelace with the left one. Those thirty minutes were the longest one to pass. I was waiting impatiently for the class to end. Finally, God heard my pleas and the bell rang.

As soon as, Adi tried to step out from his seat he lost his balance and fell down. All the students, including myself, started to laugh. His friend helped him to get up. Then he noticed his tied shoelaces and then glanced back at me with his bloodied mouth. My laughter immediately stopped when I took in his appearance. All my happiness was replaced with guilt when I realized that he broke his milk teeth. But I knew it was too late in regretting my actions. He glared back at me and at that moment I knew- this wasn't the end Aditi. It was just the beginning............

And that's how Adi and I fell into a series of mishaps. Although none of us would admit it, but we enjoyed each and every moment of our school life. All those teasings, playing pranks on one another and laughing at stupid jokes with no care about the world made our childhood a beautiful experience. Back then we didn't realize that we were making memories. We just knew we were having so much fun. No wonder that even the greatest of poets define childhood as the best human season.Honestly speaking, if I have to trade my present with my past, I would do it in a heartbeat. At least, the pain will go away and none of us would have to suffer the tragedies of our present.