Fire Heart Chapter 1

"Lillian Grey". That's my name. I walk up to the stage. Marcse hands me the knife. It's crazy to think how many decisions this knife has been apart of. I slice my hand. Blood rise up. This is when we take the phrase 'Faction before Blood' literally. I turn my hand over above the Dauntless bowl, so my blood is fried on the coals. From this moment on, I will now be Dauntless, and never again Amity.

We sprint out of the choosing ceremony and run all the way to the train tracks. I see the Dauntless climbing up tall orange beams. I stand at the base of the beam. 

"Not to scared, Amity?" A Candor transfire snickers at me.

I glare at him. "No, I think your scared one."

He chuckles, and shakes his head."Please Amity, I'm not scared of anything."

Great. A Candor know it all. 

"Well, I think there is one thing you should be scared of." I say

"Oh yeah? And what's that?"

"Me".

I scale the beam and jump on the platform. It's not long before the train comes around the corner. "Come on everyone! Run!" A dauntless born calls. We start running so we can catch the train. After all, it's not stopping. People start swinging themselves into the train. When I reach the cart, I grab the handle and swing my body in the cart. Unfortunately, I loose balance and fall on someone.

"Oww. Get off me"! Someone says. I quickly climb off them and apologize. I look down at them. And Erudite. I offer my hand to him. "Sorry" I say.

He smiles. "It's all good." He says. I smile back.

"So...What's your name?" I ask. 

"Cole" He says. "What 'bout you?"

"Lillian"I say

"Cute name" I swear I blushed.

"Thanks"

"So, an Amity, huh?" 

"Yeah"

Before he could ask anymore questions, someone says "They're Jumping" I peer out the cart. The people before us are leaping out of the train cart, and on to the hard roof. The problem was, there is a 2 meter gap in between. If you didn't make it, you would fall and die. We were approaching the roof. Each second closer we got, was each second the nerves grew.  There, really, were only 3 options. Jump on the roof and be Dauntless. Fall and die. Or be factionless. I did not like the last 2.

  So when it was time to jump, I threw away my fears and leaped into the sky. The air runs through my hair. My eyes closed. I expect to hit the ground, but instead, I hit the roof. I sigh. I'm alive. For now. 

"Alright. Listen up!" A voice calls.

All the initiates  gather around. Standing on the lege, is a Dauntless member. I instantly sense authority. His tall, blond hair, has tattoos down the side of his neck, piercings in both ears, but his most defining feature is his cold eyes. There a bluey grey, dull, cold intimidating for most, but not me. I make a mental note to never back down from this guy.

"I'm Eric. One of your leaders, who you will respect. This is they way in" He gestures to the empty space over the lege. "If you don't have the guts to jump, not not one of us. If you scared, you will ignore the fear. We will have no weaklings in our faction. If you're a coward and don't jump, your factionless. Got it? You either jump, or you don't. It's up to you." Everyone's silent. 

"Well, who first?" No one offers. Well if I want to get his attention, this is the way to do it. 

"I Will" I say. He looks at me. Then smirks. 

"An Amity. Wonderful." I walk up to the edge. And he steps down. He turns to the group. "You people should be ashamed. An Amity, the first to jump. Sad really."        I step up on the ledge. I look down. Oh no, it looks much higher than I thought is was. I gulp and look behind me at Eric. He smirks. 

"What's wrong Amity? Scared? Maybe you should step down and let someone else do it." I frown. He's testing me.

"No. I'm brave. Therefore I will not be a coward like everyone else here, and Jump" He looks amused. "Alright Amity. Stage is all yours." With that I do a backflip of the edge. The air rushes past me and I close my eyes. It's wonderful. The feeling of being in the air, it's almost peaceful...Surprisingly a peace I never felt in Amity. I hit something. Not the floor, but a net. A person tugs on the net and lifts me out of the net and gently places me down. His tall has brown hair and eyes. 

"What's your name, Amity?" He ask

"Lillian" I say

"First Jumper-Lillian!" He announces to the Dauntless. They cheer for me. When everyone jumps down all of us crowd around Eric and the other guy. 

"My names Four" Me and some others snicker. He glares at me. 

"What?" I say. Slowly he walks up  to me. He towers over me and leans down. "Did I say something funny initiate?" He ask. I gulp. 

"N-No."

"Good" He says

"Alright people, follow me" Eric says