Chapter 27

"Sir, we've got Luna."

"Good," said Doug. "Excellent. Leave us."

The security guard left the office. Doug had been sitting with Taye in Thor's office for nearly twenty-four hours.

In the meantime, Doug had sent for the most exotic foods and drinks—the finest available in the Bay Area.

There was a full Argentine asado with the best cuts of meat available. Vacío, bondiola, bife, cuadril, paleta, molleja, entrecote. The smell of beef wafted throughout the room—people could probably smell it two floors down, Doug thought. Plus, each cut came with a separate wine pairing.

Then they were brought an assortment of the best Chinese dumplings available. Doug's favorite was the Qingtuan. It was a sweet dumpling that looked like a green Mickey Mouse symbol. It had a stretchy texture and was made with black bean paste.

Taye didn't eat any of it. Doug had sampled most of the food and was completely stuffed. He thought for a moment before motioning the waiter over. Doug whispered something in his ear, and the waiter nodded and exited.

"Taye, you have to eat. How long has it been since you've had a good meal?"

"I'm fine," Taye said. He looked like he was going to fall over.

"I think I know what the problem is. I haven't brought you the right food yet," Doug said. "You know, to your taste, instead of mine."

Half an hour later, the waiter re-emerged with a long platter of ribs doused in heavy barbecue sauce and a plate full of cornbread.

"Please, Taye, I'm full. You can't just let all this food go to waste."

Taye looked down at the ribs and cornbread and shook his head.

"Really? You want for me to eat that, massa?"

Doug laughed heartily.

"I can't do what you want me to do," said Taye. "I've already told you. No amount of food is going to change the fact that I can't do what you want."

"Look, I'm trying to be nice here. I'm trying to help you. If you don't let me help you, then we'll just have to see what happens without my help."

"This is what you call help?"

"We rescued you from prison, Taye."

"You kidnapped me, which makes me look even more guilty. And you took me out of one prison just to put me in another. I'd feel safer in actual jail."

"Look, just fix the code, and we'll set you free. I will personally make sure you end up on some tropical island with no extradition treaty."

"I'd rather die than help you murder more people."

"Look, Taye, we know you broke Gaia before you ran away. Once you figured out how we were using it, you threw a wrench into it. All I'm asking you to do is to take the wrench out. You put it in, you can take it out. Can't be that hard."

"Fuck you."

"Fine," said Doug. He grabbed a rib and tore out a large bite. The sweet sauce dribbled down his chin. "I was hoping we could work this out. But life doesn't always move in a straight line. There are zigs, and there are zags. By the way, what was the last thing you ate? Just curious."

"Lucky Charms."

"The cereal?"

Taye nodded.

"What a shame."