Chapter 40

The morning light broke through the blinds. The apartment they'd given him was nice. Even had the same furnishings as his New York place. High-end Swedish. But Heath hadn't slept. Both of the options he faced were unconscionable. On the one hand, he could ignore everything that had happened over the last week. Forget Luna. After all, it's what his boss had told him to do. Or he could follow his nose and figure out the truth that he'd nearly been killed to protect.

Heath had defended famous people before. But they were all assholes. Luna was different. There was something about that woman. A fire. A spice. He saw it in her eyes the moment they met in the courtroom. Finding Luna felt like the right itch, but he didn't know if he should scratch it. He could lose more than just his career.

Play along, go to work, and keep his head down. Or dig around and get to the bottom of whatever was going on. What kind of man was he? He decided to find out.

"Mr. Massino, there's a Heath Lemming here to see you." There was a quick pause, then the secretary looked up at Heath and added, "He doesn't know you."

"Tell him I'm Luna Valencia's lawyer."

She relayed the message and paused again, before putting down the phone.

"He'll see you, but he only has two minutes before his next meeting."

"Thanks. I'll make it quick."

Heath stepped into the office. Thor was seated behind a large desk, and he waved to Heath to sit. He did.

"Mr. Massino, I know you're a busy man."

"Yes, I am. And I don't like surprise visits."

"I'm very sorry. I work for Bower, Bower, and Nathanson. We do your criminal law work."

"If this is about Luna's bail, I've already explained that we're more than happy—"

"No, this isn't about money. This is about yesterday's shooting."

Thor's eyes widened.

"What happened yesterday was a tragedy," said Thor. "But what does it have to do with the Luna Valencia case?"

"Nothing." Heath noticed what looked like relief pouring over Thor's face. "An executive at a startup gets shot. Next thing you know, he'll be suing his employer."

"Oh, you're good." Thor laughed. "You fucking lawyers will suck the scum from the bottom of any pond, won't you? Always thinking ahead. I like that."

"That's why you pay us the big bucks," Heath said with a smile.

Thor relaxed and leaned back into his seat.

"So what do you propose we do about this situation?"

"Well, we're your criminal attorneys," said Heath. "Our job is to defend you. But I believe the best defense is a strong offense. I'm sure our firm could make quite a killing if Mr. Jones were to take you to court. I wouldn't be surprised if some lawyers chomp at the opportunity of just such a thing happening to them. Lots of billable hours defending a case like that. Personally, I prefer a more proactive approach. The easiest way to win a criminal case is to make sure it never gets filed in the first place."

Thor nodded. "What was your name again?"

"Heath. Heath Lemming."

Thor wrote something down.

"Heath, I like the way you think. I've never believed in the incentive structure of outside counsel. I could use more people around me who understand the way the world works. Legally, I'm not allowed to hire an employee directly from one of the law firms we work with. So, technically, I'm not allowed to offer you this salary if you were to quit your job and come work for me."

Thor slid the note across his desk. Heath studied it closely. Both men smiled, but for different reasons.