Chapter 54

"Where am I?" asked Mr. Jones.

"You're in the hospital," Helen said. "You've been shot, and you've been in and out of consciousness. But you're doing a lot better now. Take it easy. You still have a long way to go in your recovery."

Mr. Jones closed his eyes and relaxed back into the bed. Helen looked at his vitals. Then she saw Ancien's recommendation. Ten milliliters of penicillin. Strange. Mr. Jones had not been in surgery recently enough for this to make sense. On the other hand, Helen didn't want to skip it. Maybe he had an infection that wasn't going away. Or maybe Ancien was just being careful. She loaded a syringe and pressed out the air. She stuck the needle into the IV line.

Then she felt it. The sting of hypocrisy. She had just been scolding Dr. Fernandez for his dependence on Ancien, and now look at her. It had been a long night, and her shift was almost over. But there was no excuse to be lazy. She removed the needle and lay the syringe down. She took Mr. Jones's chart from the foot of the bed.

"Shit."

She looked over at Mr. Jones and sighed with relief. He was still asleep. She'd almost killed him. He was allergic to penicillin. What had she been thinking?

She looked back at the Ancien screen.

Recommendation: None

Had she imagined it? No, just moments ago it had been telling her to give him penicillin. She would swear to it. Then again, she was tired. Double shifts had been getting harder and harder lately. But this was unforgivable. The fact that she'd been so close to making such a fatal mistake.

The patient rustled awake again.

"Where am I?" he asked a second time.

Once more she told him, "You're in the hospital. You've been shot, but you're doing a lot better now."

This time, he started making an effort to sit up. Helen helped him and put a pillow behind his back.

"Take it easy. You've been through a lot in the last few days."

"I need to see Alex and Heath. Please, it's important. Where are they?"

"Calm down, Mr. Jones. All in good time."

"No, I need to see them. Alex Sonne and Heath Lemming. It's a matter of life and death."

"I'll see what I can do."

Helen finished changing the colostomy bag and left the room. She looked at her watch. She was finally done with her second shift. She could leave and let the next nurse deal with Mr. Jones's delirious requests. But there was something about one of the names that made her curious. That first name: Alex Sonne. Where had she heard that name before? Alex. It was her brother's name. Was that why it was so familiar?

She decided to let it go. She went to the locker room and began changing her clothes. She'd debated doing even this much. Considered going home and just collapsing fully clothed. But she had been wearing these clothes for three days in a row. Two days too long.

If it had just been a single shift, she would have looked into the mystery more. But she had no energy left. It would take every ounce of strength she had just to stay awake for the fifteen-minute bus ride home. The mystery could wait until tomorrow. Or the next nurse could deal with it. Or not.

Maybe the next nurse, Jordan, would be just as tired as she was. Maybe he, too, would make promises he wouldn't keep. Pass the buck. Seemed like a favorite pastime. She was dressed now and ready to go, but maybe she would just look into this one thing. At least make a note in the file.

But her legs were moving as if through pure molasses. Her eyes were only half-open. It was going to have to wait. She walked past the nurses station. She watched as a tall, good-looking man and a striking young Latina woman argued with the head nurse.

"Are you family?"

"No, but you don't understand. I was with him when he was shot. I need to see him," the tall man was saying.

"If that's true, then you can understand why he's under strict guard. We don't know who shot him yet. For all we know, it could have been you."

"I'll sue you for libel. You and this whole hospital."

These arguments never got old. Visitors always felt so entitled. The more they dug their heels in, the more the hospital staff dug in theirs. Helen never understood why they didn't just lie and say that they were family. That way it wouldn't have to escalate. As it was, security would almost assuredly get involved. And it looked like that time was soon approaching. Jordan, the nurse on duty, had that look. He was done arguing.

"Check the list. Look for my name. He probably said it was okay for me to visit."

"Mr. Philips has been in a coma. He hasn't given us any list. And even if he had—"

"Check my name anyway." Helen had one foot out the door. She knew this was going to end with security dragging this couple away. "Heath Lemming. Please just check for my name."

He picked up the phone. "Security, please come to the nurses station on level two. Code gray."

"Hey, call off the code gray," Helen called over to Jordan. "I just spoke with Mr. Jones. He was asking to see a Heath Lemming."

Jordan pulled Helen aside and hissed, "I don't care who he asked for. We can't let anyone see Mr. Jones right now. The hospital can't take on the liability. What if this guy is the shooter, here to finish the job?"

"Why would Mr. Jones be asking to see him if he was the attacker?"

"Maybe he doesn't know who attacked him."

Helen leaned and said, "Or maybe it's just this guy's his lawyer here to help him."

Jordan looked over at Heath. "Are you his lawyer?"

Helen nodded vigorously. Heath was looking at her from the corner of his eye.

"Yes," said Heath. "I'm his lawyer. And this is my associate. We're with Bower, Bower, and Nathanson."

"Show me proof."

Heath pulled out his business card and identification. Jordan looked over them carefully. Then up at Heath. Then down at the identification once more.

"And you're sure Mr. Jones asked for him by name? Heath Lemming?"

Helen nodded.

"Do you think he's well enough for visitors?"

Helen nodded. The security guards arrived. They grabbed the man and woman by their arms.

"Do we have a problem here?"

"No, I'm calling off the code gray. But you only have five minutes before I need to kick you out. He needs rest."

"Thank you," the woman said to Helen. Helen nodded and smiled and left the hospital. Mystery solved.