Chapter six

"Hey, can we work at my house today?" Michael asked as Luke walked towards him after school, late, again.

"Why?" Luke asked, stopping.

"I need to, uh, watch my sister. She couldn't stay late at school today," Michael said, playing with his hands.

"Sure, whatever," Luke shrugged and started to walk out of the school.

Michael followed and when he got outside, a little later than Luke because of his short legs, Luke was getting onto his bike. Michael went to go walk past Luke but Luke grabbed his arm.

"Where are you going?" Luke asked.

"I'm going to walk?" Michael said as a question.

"Hop on, I need directions," Luke said, pointing at the handle bars.

"But I need to pick her up first," Michael said, looking down nervous that he would get mad, he didn't like when Luke got mad.

"That's fine, hop on," Luke shrugged.

Michael nodded and climbed onto the handlebars and clutched onto them tightly. "Just up the street and turn left," he explained.

Luke nodded and pedaled them to the school. Michael hopped off and walked in, dodging all the little kids and walked into the classroom. He got his sister, whose face lit up when she saw him.

"Sorry I couldn't watch Ariel today, I have an appointment," The teacher apologised.

"It's fine," Michael said taking his sister's hand. "I shouldn't have to rely on you, she's my responsibility."

"She's your mom's responsibility," The teacher corrected.

Michael looked at the teacher and down at his sister. He looked back up. "She's my responsibility." Michael headed out of the classroom and back to Luke. He stopped at his bike.

Ariel looked up at Luke. "Who's this, he's scary," Ariel said, scanning Luke's tattooed arm.

"This is Luke, the boy I tutor," Michael explained.

"Hello," Luke grinned, holding out his hand. Ariel stared at it. "It's a handshake."

"I know what a handshake is," Ariel said quietly and took his hand, Luke shook it.

"So you help Luke with his homework like you help me with mine?" Ariel asked as they started walking to Michael's, Luke slowly biking beside them.

"You could call it that," Michael shrugged.

They got to Michael's and walked in. Luke took off his shoes and walked in sitting on the couch. Michael joined him on the couch and took out the textbooks. He was about to open one but then stopped.

"Aren't you going to make me a snack? Mrs. Nelly always makes me a snack," Ariel asked.

Michael sighed and got up, walking to the cupboard. He got out a Bear Paw and got her an orange from the fruit bowl. He handed them to her and went back to Luke. He sat down and watched as Ariel sat next to him. He thought she was going to watch him tutor Luke but she grabbed the remote and turned on the tv. Michael sighed.

"Ariel please turn that off, we have to work," Michael pleaded.

Ariel groaned and turned it off then left the room. Michael sighed.

"I'm sorry about her," Michael apologized. 

"It's fine, it's not like I want to work," Luke shrugged.

Michael reached into into his bag and took out a pencil. He reached for Luke's homework when Ariel came back into the room.

"Can you help me with my homework?" She asked.

Michael had enough. He was pissed. He stood up and looked Ariel dead in the eyes. "Ariel, can't you see I am working? This money goes towards you and mostly you, this is the reason you have food on your table! Can you please leave us alone for one damn minute!" Michael shouted.

The tears brewed into Ariel's eyes and Michael suddenly felt bad.

"Ariel-" Michael started, but it was too late, she ran off and into her room, slamming the door.

Michael sighed and sat down.

"If you need to talk to her, you can go," Luke said.

Michael shook his head. "I'll deal with it later, I need to get this done."

Michael adjusted the work and then grabbed Luke's math homework. "You have a math test coming up that you really need to pass. If you don't pass I lose my job and you lose your graduation."

Luke sighed. "I know."

"So can you at least try to do one question?" Michael asked, holding out the pencil.

Luke grumbled and grabbed the pencil, leaning forward to look at the paper. Michael watched as he stared at the paper and leant forward to help him.

"Okay, so you multiply x by this, and then add that, subtract this, divide, and then what do you get?" Michael helped.

"Nine?" Luke asked.

Michael shook his head. "Try again."

Luke looked at the paper. "Seven!"

"Yes! There you go!" Michael yelled, holding up his hand for Luke to high five.

"Yeah! I just did math!" Luke shouted, colliding his hand with Michael's.

And then their fingers intertwined, and then they froze, to Michael, it was like time froze. And then Luke pulled away while he looked away and Michael's face heated up.

"Okay," Michael quickly spoke up before it got even more awkward. "Try another question by yourself."

Luke went to do another question and Michael watched as he wrote a couple things down and smiled. Then Luke froze again, stuck.He looked at Michael.

"Sorry, can you help me again?" Luke asked.

Michael chuckled. "Don't worry about it, Luke. It's my job."

I WAS SO EXCITED TO WRITE THIS CHAPTER AH.