chapter nine

wow over a year later lmao hello

Michael walked into his house after coming home from tutoring Luke and picking up Ariel. He dropped his bag and went up the stairs and into his room, closing the door.

"What was that about?" Michael's mom, Karen, asked Ariel.

Ariel shrugged. "He didn't speak the whole way home," she said as she climbed up onto a kitchen chair near where her mom was. "Boy trouble, I think."

Karen raised her eyebrows. Ariel was only five, but she was still concerned on how she could detect such a thing. She didn't say anymore, she just continued on making dinner. 

***

Michael laid on his bed staring at his ceiling for what felt like years, but when he rolled over to look at the clock on his bedside table, it had only been forty-five minutes. Michael sat up. He wasn't going to let Luke's shitty mood- shitty self, ruin his day. He didn't even know why those words burnt him so badly.

"You're my tutor. We're not fucking friends."

The words replayed in his head over and over.  Michael shook his head, as an attempt to shake the words out of his head. He stood up, turned on his bluetooth speaker and blasted some Taylor Swift and dance around his room, singing along. 

He spent the next fifteen minutes doing that and was startled when his mom opened the door. He scrambled to press pause.

"You could knock!" He screeched. 

"Michael, I did, four times," Karen said, looking at him. 

"Oh," Michael said softly, smoothing his skirt, embarrassed.

"Dinners ready," She spoke, leaving the room. 

Michael put his phone down and left the room, following his mom to the kitchen. He sat down at the table and looked in awe at the food in front of him.

"Wow, mom, when did you get all this?" He asked, scooping some mashed potatoes onto his plate.

"I got a small bonus yesterday at work, which is why I got the day off today, which, is payed. I took the money and got us this food for dinner, going a little over kill so we could have left overs, and I also got you two a little gift with the money," Karen explained.

Michael put the fork back onto the roasted chicken plate and looked at his mom, wide eyed.

"Presents!" Ariel screeched, jumping up and down in her seat.

"Mom, you didn't need to do that, the food I understand, but you should use some money on yourself as well," Michael said, taking a bite of the delicious food. He couldn't remember the last time he ate a meal like this before. 

"Oh, I did," She smiled. "I treated myself to a nice dress. I plan to have a night out with a couple of girls from work this weekend."

"That's great!" Michael said with a grin.

They finished the rest of the dinner in silence, but comfortable silence. When everyone finished, Michael helped his mother with the dishes.

"So Ariel tells me that you're having boy troubles?" Karen said, handing a dish to Michael for him to dry. 

"What?" Michael asked, shocked. "She's five, how would she know such a thing!"

Ariel climbed up onto the counter. "I think it's with that boy Lukey, the one he's tutoring." She chimed in.

"Ew gross! Don't call him Lukey," Michael gagged. "And it's nothing, I'm fine."

"Oh," Karen perked up. "Is this boy cute?"

"He's sooo dreamy," Ariel giggled.

"One, ew! Two, you called him scary when you first met him, and three, he's a dick," Michael said, putting the dry dishes away.

"Michael! Watch your language," Karen scolded.

"What does a dick mean?" Ariel asked, tilting her head.

"It's something not nice, honey, and I don't want you to say that ever again," Karen explained.

Michael just giggled quietly and dried his hands on the towel he was using. He hung up the towel.

"Okay, present time!" Karen sung, walking over to the purse. She grabbed a wrapped box for Ariel and a bag for Michael and handed it to them.

Ariel ripped hers open right away. "A new American Girl Doll!" She screamed. "She's so pretty, thank you mommy!" Ariel ran off to open the box and go play with her new doll.

Michael opened the bag slower than Ariel, but he had to admit he was pretty excited too. "Wow, mom, there's so much in here," He said, reaching into the bag and pulling out a pink skater skirt. "Oh my gosh, it's so cute, mom!" 

"Isn't it? I saw it and thought you'd love it," She said, smiling.

Michael reached into the bag and pulled out a light washed jean jacket. "Oh my gosh, this will match so well!" He shrieked. Karen just watched in awe as he pulled out the last couple of items. A new journal, in a pink marble style, and a new notebook, white with rose gold letters reading let the mind wander.

"Thank you so much, mom," Michael said, hugging her tightly.

"It's really no problem, Michael." She said, hugging back. She pulled back and started to walk away but stopped.. 

"Maybe you could write about your boy troubles in the new journal."

***

After school the next day Michael said absolutely nothing to Luke, who was extra late.

"New jacket?" Luke just noticed, as he skipped out on free period tutoring. "And a new skirt."

"Yes, why do you care," Michael replied, not showing any emotion.

"I thought you didn't have much money? How did you afford all that even?" Luke asked.

"My mom got a bonus and got me a couple gifts. Now shut up and lets just go, okay?" Michael said and climbed onto the handle bar.

"Gee, pretty boy, calm down. I like the jacket," Luke said, starting to pedal home. 

"Whatever." Was all Michael said, until they got back to Lukes.

Michael climbed off the bike and walked into the house, taking off his shoes and sitting on the couch. Luke did the same and handed Michael his history test. Michael stared at the big red "F" on the top.

"You failed?!" Michael yelled. "I spent a whole week going over this with you!" 

"Yeah, so what?" Luke said, leaning back and pulling out his phone.

"No!" Michael yelled, having enough. He grabbed Luke's phone out of his hands and tossed it across the room.

"What the fuck!" Luke yelled, sitting up, pissed.

"You are going to listen to me, okay?" Michael said, pulling out the history text book. "There's a fresh start now with a new chapter, I'm going to have to re-teach you what you went over in class every night because of how fucking stupid you are! So you're going to listen to me, or I will snap that damn phone in half, got it?" 

"Holy shit," Luke said, looking at Michael with his jaw dropped. "You're hot when you're angry." He smirked.

"Just shut and listen, alright?" Michael sternly said, rolling his eyes. This was going to be a long two hours.

HOLY SHIT I'M BACK. I HAVE IDEAS OMF IDEK IF ANYONE READS THIS ANYMORE BUT IDC CAUSE I'M GOING TO GO WRITE THE NEXT TWO CHAPTERS RIGHT NOW YAAAY.