The Call

Last week I went to the doctors for my yearly physical so I could get cleared to play soccer. My doctor asked if everything was normal and I told her I've been getting a lot of nose bleeds and having pain in my bones and joints. She said it was probably nothing but decided to take some tests to be sure.

They took my blood and then I went home, the results wouldn't be in for about a week. What could possibly be wrong with me I'm just an average teenager?

I went home and looked up these symptoms to see if I might have one of those serious diseases.

I was scrolling through symptomschecker.webmd.com and about a hundred different things came up.
•ACL knee injury
•Lyme disease
•Chrohn's disease
•Shingles
•Pre-leukemia (myelodysplastic syndrome)

Some of these I obviously didn't have I mean I didn't just go out and tear my ACL but I mean what if I was developing leukemia or something I mean this could be serious.

I look up the symptoms of leukemia and start to think about them.
•bleeding
•easy bruising
•frequent infections
•mouth ulcer
•nosebleed
•pallor
•red spots on skin
•shortness of breath
•swollen lymph nodes
•unintentional weight loss

What the fuck is pallor? But I mean yeah I guess you could say I have been getting out of breath pretty easily like walking up the stairs.

I look down and notice red spots on my arms that I never really noticed before. Are they new? Or have the always been there?

Are lymph nodes something in your throat? Wtf is a mouth ulcer?

I realized when I was at the doctors and the nurse was weighing me that she looked a little concerned when she said I'd lost almost 15 pounds because I wasn't over weight to begin with. Just your average 17 year old girl. I just thought those pre-season workouts were finally working.

Don't stress yourself out it's probably nothing I tell myself. But then I keep thinking about it until I have a headache. Well the doctor said she would call with my results tomorrow. So I decided to take a sleep pill so I could get some sleep. I don't usually take them, only before big games but tonight I knew I would need one.

I wake up in the morning and check my phone and the first thing that pops up is my recent search from last night. Damn I had almost forgotten. I decided to hop in the shower and try to clear my mind. I turn on Shawn Mendes "Like This" , my favorite song and start to sing along.  I hop out of the shower quickly get dressed and decide to let my hair air dry today instead of straightening it.  (Picture up top) I'll regret it by the time it dries and my curls are all over the place.  But oh well to late now. I grab a bagel and leave the house so I'm not late to school.

So schools the usual...boring and uneventful. I'm just counting down the minutes until lunch. The only class I have with my amazing best friend, Carrie. I guess you could say I'm a nerd and she's more focused on other things like popularity.  But she's not one of those snotty popular girls she's actually one of the sweetest people I know and she's been there for me through everything. She's also drop dead gorgeous and gets all of the guys. She had beautiful blonde hair and is tall and skinny.

                                   -At Home-

I immediately check the voicemail and my heart drops.

"Hello, this is Dr. Anderson. I got the results for Alexis' tests and they are not good. I would like you to come in tonight so we can discuss this in person. Please call me as soon as possible to make an appointment. I'm very sorry. Thank you."

My mind started racing with all of the things that could be wrong. And I started to think about the one thing I'd never thought about....death. I mean like I'm 17 years old, healthy, happy, average. What if my life was changed forever? It must be serious if they need me to come in.

I called my mom at work and told her. She called the doctor and scheduled an appointment. She left work early to pick me up.  And we headed to the doctors office.

~Erin💖
Even though there's probably no one reading this I just wanna let you no that I'm sorry I didn't really mention Shawn in this chapter but don't worry he'll be here soon😘