Chapter 4- Zuko

"...Then I'll see you in the courtyard bright and early tomorrow morning." Zuko straightened, moving his ear from the door. That sounded a lot like parting words.

He turned and trotted down the hallway towards his war room, where he should have been at a good ten minutes ago. Oh well. What were they going to do, fire him?

He mentally kicked himself for using that kind of logic. Letting yourself feel too invincible and superior was a slippery slope to nowhere good. Not that he was being a model of morals lately.

Zuko hadn't meant to eavesdrop at first--he'd just forgotten to explain to his uncle what he and Anika had worked on and thought it'd be helpful if he quickly went over things. He'd put his ear to the door for a moment to make sure he wouldn't be interrupting anything important, and one thing had led to another.

Zuko stopped beside his war room, straightening the flame in his topknot and smoothing his robes before entering. "Fire Lord Zuko." An advisor gave him a piercing look as he crossed the stage and took his throne at the front of the room. "We are ecstatic that you decided to show up."

Zuko didn't miss a beat. "Likewise, Rozin. I was worried that after I beat you so badly in Pai Sho yesterday you'd be too ashamed to attend."

Zuko smiled inwardly at the small chorus of chuckles that followed his statement. Gaining respect as the youngest Fire Lord in history wasn't easy, but his 'say something Iroh would say to look like you have your shit together' method almost never failed him.

He waited for the laughter to die down before snapping into full Fire Lord mode. "General Mak. Status report on the Harmony Restoration Movement?" Mak stood. "We're making progress, but it's slow and meticulous. The Fire Nation colonies are deeply rooted in the Earth Kingdom, and..."

Zuko zoned out as the general droned on, weary from having heard the same speech before. His mind immediately wandered to the conversation he'd just overheard. He was an idiot. The thought that Anika could be the result of an assault instead of a consensual relationship had never crossed his mind until today. If he ever found the man responsible... Zuko clenched his fists. He'd regret ever being born.

He had to admit though, her story had explained a lot. Suddenly Anika's infuriating resolve to never firebend made more sense. She hadn't been brought up as a Fire Nation royal with tutors and instructors encouraging her to explore her talents--quite the opposite. He hated how bad she felt about everything. Anika was kind, loyal, talented, and beautiful; she didn't deserve-

"Fire Lord, requesting permission to make a suggestion." Zuko flushed and snapped out of his thoughts. Mak had finished, and the officials were looking at him expectantly. Focus, Zuko.

"Permission granted, General Akari."

Akari rose from where she knelt on her mat. "It would wise to establish strong alliances with the water tribes to prevent war and gain allies in times of trouble. I propose you and your diplomats travel to the north pole for a week during the soonest possible time of inactivity."

General Mak raised an eyebrow. "The Fire Lord should be focusing on his dealings with the Earth Kingdom. Matters are much more dire there."

General Akari squared her shoulders. "With all due respect, Mak, we've already made peace with Earth King Kuei. As for the colonies, you yourself said progress is slow. The status of matters will remain relatively the same over the course of the week or so it will take for a diplomat trip. If anything, the fact that the water tribes aren't necessarily set against us will work to our advantage in terms of strategy. Confirming an alliance is a crucial move."

Zuko nodded. Appointing a woman as a general was one of his more controversial moves, but Akari had not yet given him reason to regret the decision. "I approve. Akari, see to it that a small fleet is prepared to launch in a month's time. I will have my diplomats extend the idea to the Northern Water Tribe. Admiral Zenku, how are matters as far as weapon inventory and soldier count?"

Zenku stood and Zuko settled into his throne, bracing himself for the hour or so of monotone, uneventful reports that these meetings usually consisted of. At least he'd have his daydreams to keep him company.

__________
This chapter and the next are both pretty short, so I'm giving the next one to you later today. :)