Chapter 8- Zuko

Zuko stood in front of the mirror in his quarters and gazed at the tense-looking reflection staring back at him. He had to make sure everything was in place.

Hair smoothed back? Check.

Flame securely in his topknot? Check.

Robes wrinkle-free and aligned perfectly? Check.

His fleet had just entered the Northern Tribe's gates, and it was nearly time for him to exit the quiet shelter of his room and proceed off the ship to greet his hosts. He'd asked Anika and Sokka to walk down with him. Hopefully his friends would make him look less like an intimidating conquerer and more like a friendly ally. He needed this alliance if he wanted to get a sliver of trust in the Fire Nation from the world. This was a big deal, and the jitters were getting to him.

He held out his hand to the mirror and mimed shaking hands. "Greetings, your chief-ly-ness Arnook, sir. I hear your people like water. So do I!" Zuko cringed. Maybe he should try something else.

He cleared his throat and raised a hand in greeting. "Chief Arnook! Pleasure to meet you. My friend Sokka here tells me your daughter became a moon spirit to save the tribe from-the... Fire Nation," Zuko muttered, trailing off. If he wasn't worried about messing up his hair, he would have slapped himself on the forehead. Why was he so bad at this?!

A knock sounded on the door, and Anika's voice reached his ears. "Zuko, they just lowered the gangplank. Captain wants you off first."

"Coming, coming." Zuko gave himself one last anxious glance in the mirror before crossing the room and throwing open the door.

Anika must have taken in his less-than-confident expression, because she smiled encouragingly. "Come on, you'll do great."

Zuko smiled with what he hoped was an assured look. "Let's do this." He left his room and made his way to the exit of the ship, where Sokka and a small group of bodyguards waited.

Zuko lined himself up with the center of the exit. He glanced back to confirm that Anika and Sokka were slightly behind him on each side, then squared his shoulders and strode to the top of the gangplank and smoothly down the ramp.

Chief Arnook faced him about ten feet from the bottom of the gangplank. What appeared to be his wife stood on his right side, and a young, cocky-looking man was on his left. Zuko immediately felt dislike for the latter rise in his chest, but he pushed it aside to focus on the task at hand.

Arnook bowed as Zuko stepped onto the ice of the port. "Fire Lord Zuko, the Northern Water Tribe welcomes you."

Zuko bowed in return. "I thank you for your hospitality and look forward to many years of peace and collaboration." There. That wasn't terrible, at least.

Everyone seemed to relax at his words, and Arnook focused his gaze over Zuko's shoulder and smiled gently. "It's been too long, Sokka."

The young man at Arnook's left crossed his arms and stared at the ground with a frown as he murmured, "Not long enough, if you ask me." Zuko blinked, unsure if his ears were playing tricks on him.

Arnook quickly cleared his throat. "We have a feast planned for tonight, but you must want to rest after your journey. The crew and extra bodyguards have rooms in the city, and we have prepared guest rooms in the palace for you and your diplomats. Please allow Hahn here to show you to your quarters." He gave Hahn a pointed look as he added, "He is an excellent host, I assure you."

Hahn spread a smile over his features as if it pained him to do so. He gave the group a shallow, hasty bow. "I'll be happy to assist you. If you'd follow me?" Zuko, Anika, Sokka, three Fire Nation officials, and two bodyguards trailed after Hahn as he crossed the icy ground and led them to a large canoe manned by a waterbender standing at the back. "Make yourselves at home."