Chapter Twelve ⌔ Mindless Daze

"Where's that jerk?"

I looked up from my papers and looked towards where Kim was glaring at the door of the café. She held a pen in her hand and had her elbow on the notebook she and David were supposed to be working with. David gave her an exasperated look as he tried to tug the notebook from under her arm. Kim gave him a death glare and he immediately held up his hands in surrender.

"Look, we don't have to wait for Steven. We can just finish this thing off. It's only a little," David protested. Kim gave him another glare and then looked over to where my group sat at a separate table, busy with our own work.

"It's teamwork, David. Not two people working for the other two! C'mon, we've done the bigger parts of the assignment, right?"

"Kim," David said patiently, "We're only supposed to pick ideas from the book and decide on the ones we might actually take on."

Kim huffed and then looked at me, her annoyed expression merging into one of a pout. "Sierra is just really lucky that her group is all here on time."

"You're such a baby, Kim," spoke up Mia as she scribbled down in her notebook. Kim muttered something unintelligible and turned her gaze towards the door again. I turned my eyes to Mia and read across the table at the point she wrote in her notebook. I reached over instinctively and corrected the spelling of Nebraska.

Mia nodded absently and circled the word, biting a little on her bottom lip as she stared at the notes she wrote down.

"So, we're stuck with choosing between The Civil War, The Kansas-Nebraska Act, The Mexican-American War and The Great Depression?" Tony asked as he tapped his pencil butt on each of the topics circled on the paper in the middle of the table. I nodded and reached over to scratch out The Dawes Act.

"Oh, yeah, not difficult at all," James said sarcastically. He turned to me and raised an eyebrow. "Aren't we doing The Great Depression for our project due Wednesday?"

I stared at him, feeling the dismay roll in. He was right.

And that topic wasn't exactly small either.

"Great, now we're down to three topics to choose from," Tony said, sounding pleased as he happily scratched out The Great Depression with a bit more enthusiasm than necessary. Mia chuckled as Tony completely scribbled out the topic name.

I let out a sigh as I leaned against my chair, rubbing my forehead absently. I pulled out my cell-phone and checked the time.

2:13 p.m.

I was tired of History, having spent literally all morning with my group researching the topics and bickering over which would be the better topic. We had gotten nowhere, obviously.

And my hand ached with the number of times I had to write down what was on my mind to any of my group members.

I dropped my pen on the table and sighed, stretching out my fingers to relieve them a little. I flexed my fingers, looking over at David who was now scribbling down in the notebook Kim had finally surrendered to him.

Daniel, Katrina and Natalie had disappeared after finishing breakfast with us, deciding that hanging out with a group of people about to do History was definitely going to be uninteresting.