Chapter Seventeen ⌔ Facing Fears

Chapter Seventeen Facing Fears

The cool wind attacked me viciously the moment I stepped out of the blue Camaro.

I let out a breath, blowing out heavily in hopes that I could blow out my fear and nervousness. I glanced nervously at Pepper as she slammed the car door shut, giving me a glance over his the hood of Sky, David's beloved Camaro.

"Sierra, are you ready?" She asked, looking worried. I nodded, taking in a shaky breath. She walked around and took my hand. "I'm here for you."

I nodded and took in a deep breath. Quickly, I pulled Pepper into a tight hug and then released her, gripping her hand. Pepper smiled encouragingly at me.

I could do this.

Together, we walked towards the vacant bridge. I took in a deep breath as we reached the mouth of the bridge. I gripped Pepper's hand tightly as I took in a deep breath, feeling the fear and the rush flow suddenly into me. I started to pull back but Pepper held on and pulled me some more until we stood in the middle of the bridge.

I closed my eyes as I felt my heart race and my hand become sweaty. Within moments, I heard it. I heard the memory of that night taking over. The voices, the conversations, the screaming... her scream.

*

Flash!

"I hope you took a good shot," I said remorsefully as I took the camera from Ben. My mother and sister just laughed as they straightened from their poses by the door.

"Oh, Sierra, you're too paranoid about photography," my mom said, smiling in amusement as she pushed her hair back and buttoned up her coat. I shrugged, checking that the photograph Ben took was deemed good enough before I slid my lens cover back onto the camera.

"Weird kid," Ben muttered, playfully reaching over and mussing up my hair. I gave him a flat look as he pulled his hand away.

"You try doing that with Leila and she'll cut your hand off," I said, gingerly placing my precious camera onto the side table before I started fixing my hair back into the neat ponytail I had before Ben ruined it. I threw Ben a dirty look, rolling my eyes pointedly.

"As much as I would love to spend time pulling Sierra's leg or rather, messing up her hair, I really have to get going. Leila's expecting me to pick her up," Ben said, wincing as he leaned over to peck my mom's cheek affectionately.

"Give my love to Leila," mom said fondly, smiling up at him. Ben nodded and then turned to peck his best friend's cheek.

"Tell Leila I'll call her later!" Karen said, excitedly. I gave Karen a look and then opened the front door, peering out at the darkness outside.

"Will do," Ben called out as he walked out the front door, purposely pushing against me so that I stumbled backwards.

"Jerk!" I yelled out after him. Ben just laughed as he got into his car and drove off.

"So, where are we going?" Mom asked as she ushered both Karen and I out of the house and into the car. Karen chuckled and turned her eyes to me.