Chapter Thirteen ⌔ Fallen Hard

"Good morning, Sierra!"

The sweet voice of Lisa greeted me the moment I stepped into the kitchen. I shook my head and squeezed my eyes shut before forcing them opening, blinking rapidly to get rid of the drowsiness. I was going to kill David for making me watch that stupid horror movie with him.

Thanks to him, I was completely sleepy, having not gotten a good sleep last night; images of men coming after me with bloodied saws prevented any hope of a peaceful sleep.

Heck, I couldn't even close my eyes for fear that they might jump out from under my bed.

I smiled as best as I could at Lisa and stumbled over to the island, staring hard at the glossy tabletop and wondering if I would bruise if I just dropped my head on it and slept.

I probably would.

"Did SAW keep you up?" Lisa asked, chuckling as she passed me a bowl of coco pops and a milk carton. I nodded at her as I lazily poured the milk in the bowl. I glanced behind me at the doorway, wondering why David wasn't down yet.

"David!" Lisa called, her hands busy as she poured coffee into two different mugs. She gently put down the coffee pot and went to one of the kitchen cabinets, opening it and pulling out a coffee mug with a lid on it. She quickly washed it and poured coffee inside, sliding the lid shut to preserve the heat.

She placed it in front of me as she walked past me, patting my head. I let out a happy sigh as I reached for the handle of my travel mug, admiring the loopy pencil designs on it.

"David!" I heard Lisa call again as she made her way upstairs. I snickered silently, knowing that David would be forced awake. I started on my cereal and finished it off without sign of either Lisa or David.

I glanced at the overhead clock and jumped to my feet, grabbing my bag from the chair beside me and picking up my coffee. I couldn't wait for David.

He was taking too long. I simply couldn't miss my class.

Groaning with no sound, I grabbed a kitchen towel and pulled out a pen from my bag, scribbling down on it so that David would get the message when he got down for breakfast.

I couldn't wait for you; you took too long. I'll see you at school.

I grabbed my house keys and hurried out the front door, rushing past Peter and Eric as they sat on the lawn together with their hands greasy and a big engine thing in front of them.

I didn't bother greeting them as I flew past, my feet automatically taking me to the route I took every day.

My footsteps were quick so when I arrived at school, it was no surprise when I found myself breathless. I managed to reach my locker just as the bell went off. My movements were hasty as I popped my locker open and pushed all my things in, grabbing my History books for Monday's first class.

I practically ran to class, managing to slip in unnoticed just after the teacher walked in. I scurried to my seat, relieved when Mr. Jenson made no comment about my untidy rush.