⌔ Epilogue ⌔

Epilogue

"Sierra!"

I looked up from where I was busy piling books into the large bookshelf in front of me, and glanced over my shoulder. My father, Peter, looked breathless as he peered in from around the doorway.

"Joe is here with Annabeth," he gasped, as he tried to catch his breath. I raised an eyebrow at him and rolled my eyes, gently placing the book I was holding onto an empty shelf. I stood up and walked over to my father, helping him straighten up.

Why are you running? You're getting old.

Dad gave me a dirty glare after reading my hands, running a hand through his thinning, graying hair. "I look and am just fine, thank you very much. It's those little monsters that did this to me."

I laughed soundlessly and took his arm, walking with him to the living room. As we approached, I could hear Annabeth's laugh mixed in with a high pitched giggle. Then I heard Joe's deep laugh and another squealing child.

I smiled as I entered the living room, taking in the sight before me. Joe, who was older now and with more crinkles around his eyes, had a little blue-eyed boy in his arms and was tossing the four-year old child up and down in the air -thus the squealing. A pregnant Annabeth, Joe's wife of five years, was busy braiding a five-year old girl's hair, every now and then blowing a raspberry to make her giggle. The little girl was careful not to lean too much on Annabeth's obvious 6-month baby bump.

I rapped on a nearby table stand to get their attention, releasing my hold on my father and allowing him to pick up his jacket. Annabeth looked around and grinned widely when she saw me, quickly finishing off the braid and then cautiously getting up.

"Sierra! Hi." Annabeth clapped her hands as she walked towards me. "I saw the catalog you recommended and oh my god, you're so right. That stroller is fabulous."

I gave her a wide grin, careful not to put too much pressure on her stomach as I hugged her.

Joe saw me, smiled and placed the boy down, coming over to give me a peck on the cheek.

"Hey, Sierra. Are we doing the stroller thing again?" Joe turned to his wife, raising an eyebrow. "Isn't Mick's one good enough?"

Annabeth huffed at him. "No. His stroller screams out boy! We don't even know if this beauty is a boy or girl." She lovingly rubbed her bump. Then she pouted at Joe, playfully crossing her arm over her chest. "I'm sticking with the unisex stroller."

Joe rolled his eyes at her and winked at me good naturedly, "Sure, sure."

My father unlocked the front door and glanced at us over his shoulder. "Shall we head off?"

I nodded, straightening out my beige coat. I lifted up my hands to sign.

Eric and Lisa will meet us there.

Dad nodded at me and then disappeared into the kitchen for a moment. Joe turned to pick up the boy, tossing him up and down before carrying the giggling child out of the house. Annabeth took the little girl's hand and led her out, chattering to dad as he reappeared at the front door, leaving the house together.

I shook my head as I noticed the mess in the living room. Sighing, I turned around and picked up the keys from the little glass stand standing against the wall of the hallway, brushing my hand against the small, brown dream catcher that was hung on the wall next to the door.