Ch.3 ~ Meeting the Family

Chapter 3 Meeting the Family

(Hey that rhymes!)

Remember the disclaimer: I don't own anything you recognize! I only own Jessica, Jacob, Jason, and Mercury along with most of the plot line. Everything else goes to JK Rowling. 

When my feet touched the ground again, I opened my eyes. In front of me was a large castle atop a cliff face looking over a lake and vast forest. I was entranced. 

“Welcome to Hogwarts,” Dumbledore said with a smile. 

My mouth stayed open wide as we strode across the grassland toward the castle. We arrived at a grand oak door. Dumbledore used his wand to tap it, and it opened with a flourish. Inside, there were marble staircases and flooring, coats of armor, and picture frames with moving pictures inside. 

Dumbledore left me to follow him as he walked throughout the corridors. Left… right… up a staircase… right… down a staircase… left again… Finally we made it to a stone gargoyle. 

“Lemon Drops!” he said. 

The gargoyle sprung out of the way to reveal a spiraling concrete staircase. As we walked up, Dumbledore explained that this was his office. We entered the office and Dumbledore gestured for me to sit in front of his oak desk, while he sat behind it. He stared at me for a few moments, like he was X-raying me. Finally he said, “You look just like your mother, Mercury.”

It was true. I had long, black hair and piercing hazel eyes, just like her. Spitting image. 

“Your mother’s maiden name was Potter. Her married name was Black. Her alias is Welds. I thought it was rather clever, using her best friend’s last name,” he said. 

“Why are you telling me this?”

“You need to know. You shall find out why, when it is relevant.”

Somehow, I wanted to scream in frustration. My mother never told me about herself. Just that she went to a boarding school somewhere in Scotland and that she had three brothers, James, Jacob, and Jason. James, Jacob and her were triplets, and Jason died at a young age. 

“So, Miss Mercury, we need a place for you to stay for the rest of the summer. I was going to have you stay here, but I know a perfect place in which you will go. Just remember, use your mother’s maiden name. Potter,” Dumbledore said. 

It was hard to believe that I am a witch, that I’m in a magical castle, and that I have three last names. But, hey, this’ll probably be fun!

“Take my arm.” I did, and felt myself being whisked away again. 

We arrived on a normal looking street that had normal looking houses. After everything that had happened, I’d expected something more. Anyways, the street was called Private Drive. All of the houses had numbers on the sides, next to the doors. I’d counted, 1 … 2 … 3 … and we stopped at four. Dumbledore led me up the walkway. I shifted my bag on my shoulder, you know, the one I’d taken from home. The old man rang the doorbell twice. I heard pounding, like heavy footsteps. All of a sudden, the door swings open to reveal a rather fat man. He looked like a walrus without a neck, in my opinion. His face purpled when he looked at Dumbledore. Its probably the strange getup and hair. 

“Ah, you must be Vernon Dursley. I am Albus Dumbledore, surely you remember me?” 

‘Vernon Dursley’ purpled even further. 

“This is the young girl I told you about. Her name is Mercury Potter, she is your niece. If you don’t mind, she’ll be staying here until it is time for her to come to school.”

Vernon was quiet for a moment before screaming, “Petunia!”

A lady came, and she was the exact opposite of Vernon. She was skinny and had a large amount of neck, and surprisingly resembled a horse that had beady eyes. 

“Yes, Vernon?”

“We’ve got another one.”

“Surely this can’t be Jacob’s or Jessica’s?” They spoke as though we weren’t here. Dumbledore just hummed pleasantly. 

I coughed slightly, turning their attention back to me. Then I heard: “Aunt Petunia, who’s at the door?” 

It was a boy, about my age, 11. He had messy black hair and deep emerald eyes. The boy looked underfed, he was so skinny. 

“What did I tell you about asking questions, boy?” Vernon snarled, and gestured for me to come inside. Though just before he slammed the door in Dumbledore’s face, I waved. 

“Hi,” I said. “I’m Mercury Potter.”

The boy looked at me strangely. “I’m Harry Potter.”

A/N: Okay, so it’s a bit longer, and it doesn’t really make sense to me, oh well. Anywho, she finally met Harry and learned she has 3 last names! Please bear with me, there is a huge plotline that I have involving her mother and uncles, so keep with me! Hope you like it, and if you have any suggestions, corrections, or even if you just want to shout about squirrels to me, COMMENTS ARE APPRECIATED. 

-Jessica